I lied about my education during a deposition and now I am…

I lied about my...

I lied about my education during a deposition and now I am scared to death because we go to court tomorrow and I don't know what to do. My education is not important to the trial however, they may open up with asking me questions about it

Lawyer's Assistant: What state are they in? It matters because laws vary by location.

Colorado

Lawyer's Assistant: What steps have they taken so far?

Known towards me my testimony is important because I was the HR manager at the time an incident occurred 5 years ago

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

They brief me last night they would open up asking me soft questions

6/5/2018

Thank you for your question. I look forward to working with you to provide you the information you are seeking for educational purposes only.

If you lied in the deposition, that is lying under oath or perjury. Even if you lied about something not material to the case, it can lead to your testimony being impeached and you losing all credibility as a witness. You need to notify the attorney who took your deposition immediately and inform them that you misspoke and misunderstood the question and now you thought about it you realize you have given him incorrect information and would like to correct the information. That is all you can do and then the attorney will have to deal with the incorrect information during trial if you are called to the stand to testify. That is all you can really do.

I go to trial tomorrow and already sign the documents they sent to me pertaining to the deposition saying everything is true
what do I do now
should I call the lawyer before we walk in trial tomorrow
they said it's a possibility I could go in today and yes I am afraid of losing my job

thank you for your reply.

Yes, you need to let the lawyer know ahead of time, because if the other party has found out and makes an issue out of this on the stand the lawyer is going to be trapped and you could end up in more trouble. If the lawyer knows he can prepare to deal with it ahead of time.

As far as losing your job, it is too late for worrying about that.because what is done is done and not giving the attorney a heads up will make it worse, not better.

Once I tell the lawyer this morning and if they still put me on stand, can the plaintiff
lawyers bring it up although they are not asking me any questions just my company's lawyers are the ones calling me to the stand

Thank you for your reply.

The plaintiff’s lawyers get a chance to cross examine you, so they could be questioning you even though your employer’s lawyers are putting you on the stand. This goes to your credibility as a witness and the plaintiff, if they know you lied, can raise this to say the rest of your testimony is not credible.

I will tell the company's lawyers this morning, because they my call me to be a witness after lunch today, I pray they don't but they may, and yes I plan to tell them everything. What is the possibility of the plaintiff's lawyer researching my background sense it's not important to the case. And is there any way I can tell them I don't want to testify because I have been able to sleep all night and right now my heart racing really really fast. After I speak to the lawyer is there anything I can do to not be a witness

Thank you for your reply.

You telling them could change their trial plans as they may decide to try to protect you and their case by finding another way to get the information in at trial other than your testimony.

Attorneys research witnesses all the time if they are diligent attorneys because they are looking to. Verify the witness statements or to determine credibility or see if they have anything in their background that can be used to challenge credibility.

Unfortunately, you have to testify if they call you.

I just tried to call the head lawyer I will try again, I can't believe I did something so stupid. The position I am in now although working for the same company I did not put any education on the resume. I have over 113 credit hours but haven't declared a degree yet. so I lied to the company lawyers like I did. I am a key witness to this case Lord what have I done. Thank you so much Sir

Thank you for your reply.

We all make stupid mistakes, it just happens sometimes. You need to do your best to explain that you misspoke. It is not the end of the world and not the end of the case, your employer’s attorney can minimize it since you have so many credits and are so close, but they still need to know and need to deal with it ahead of time.

Please do not forget to click on the 5 stars at the top of your page as the experts are not site employees and get no credit for time spent with customers unless the customer clicks on the 5 star feedback

I will definitely do that and thank you again for all your assistance. Have a nice day.

Thank you very much. Please do click the 5 stars at the top of the page.