My husband & I have always worked in WA state. As you know…

My husband & I...

My husband & I have always worked in WA state. As you know it takes 2 people to make it these days. I've worked in Insurance, banking, & Real Estate. I needed to find a job where I could move up in a company. I started filling out applications for good paying jobs. One was Kalispell Mt, where one of our daughters lives & work. She absolutely loves her job at National Food Services. A contractor through FEMA. I applied & soon I received a call from them, asking me if I was able to have a phone interview first. All the previous jobs I have had all the experience

Lawyer's Assistant: Have you discussed this with a manager or HR? Or with a lawyer?

With is what National Flood services is all about. I had a phone interview, passed right away. Then they asked if I could come to Montana for a face to face interview. I said yes. They offered me the job. My husband & I talked it over & we both agreed I needed to jump on it. So I moved to MT. I have moved up in the company quite fast. I am now in the Accounting DEPT, team processing ALL pymts made for Flood Insurance policies in the US. My question is we need to get my husband over here. Would he be able to collect Unemployment for relocation, just until he finds a job here?

Lawyer's Assistant: Are you an "at will" employee? Do you belong to a union?

No I wasn't, but already working here. It is a really good job.

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

Yes we have never has assistant before. We have always worked & plan on working for now on. But we need to get him over here. His employment already knows he will be leaving someday. Can he collect relocation unemployment for a short period of time? We are in 2 different states

6/3/2018
legalgems
legalgems, Lawyer

Hello! I will be reviewing your question and posting a response momentarily; if you have any follow up questions please respond here. Thanks!

Unemployment insurance benefits is generally not available if an employee voluntarily quits; however, there are exceptions carved into that rule, such as for when a spouse must relocate to be near their new spouse's job; please see:

https://esd.wa.gov/unemployment/quit

specifically:

• You moved to be with your spouse or domestic partner whose job is outside your labor market area.
legalgems
legalgems, Lawyer
Joycelaw
Joycelaw, Attorney
Phone call session started