Our neighbor has a large tree that is diseased and bug

Customer Question
Our neighbor has a...

Our neighbor has a large tree that is diseased and bug infested. The tree has dropped large limbs on our property many times, causing damage to our property. They will not deal with the problem! What are our legal rights?

Lawyer's Assistant: What steps has your neighbor taken so far? Have they prepared or filed any paperwork?

None that we are aware of.

Lawyer's Assistant: Where is the property located?

540 Colorado river blvd reno nv 89502

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

We have pictures of the tree

Submitted: 2 months ago.Category: Legal
5/31/2018
Lawyer: Thelawman2, Attorney replied 2 months ago
Thelawman2
Thelawman2, Attorney

Hello, my name is ***** ***** I will be helping you today.

First thing to understand is that if there are any limbs that hang over your property, you have the right to trim them back.

Second, in terms of damage to your property, if you sue your neighbor, the court will apply a reasonable care standard. If your neighbor failed to take reasonable care to maintain the tree (which is sounds like they did fail), then they are responsible for any resulting damage to your property. You should consider suing them in small claims court to avoid extensive legal fees.