My apt complex is taking me to court on june 7th to evict me…

Customer Question
My apt complex is...

My apt complex is taking me to court on june 7th to evict me because they think i don't meet the needs to have my emotional support animals and i have all the paper work for my dogs

Lawyer's Assistant: What state are you in? It matters because laws vary by location.

PA

Lawyer's Assistant: What steps have you taken so far?

Contacted the HUD and filed a complaint, filed a complaint with human relations and called the attorney that backs the emotional support dogs

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

I have lived in my apt since may 1 2016 and have never had a late payment or and completes until now because of my dogs... my dogs only recently starred to live with me until i found out from my doctor to make them emotional support animals and my apt complex does not agree

Submitted: 2 months ago.Category: Legal
Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Live Phone Call.
Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.
5/31/2018
Lawyer: Barrister, Attorney replied 2 months ago
Barrister, Attorney

Hello and welcome to JustAnswer. My name is ***** ***** I will do my best to help with your problem .

.

Have you gotten a letter from a state licensed Doctor who is treating you that says the animals are "medically necessary" for your treatment?.

.

.

Thanks

I have a letter from a licensed doctor.

Ok, if you have a letter from a state licensed doctor who is treating you who states that the animals are medically necessary, then there is nothing that the landlord can do about it as you would be in compliance with the Fair Housing Act.

.

But if you got a letter off the internet, or from a doctor who isn't actually treating you, or it doesn't say it is "medically necessary", then they can claim you are in violation of any pet policy and move to evict.

.

The law is very specific about what you have to prove to legally have an ESA or SA..

Hello again,

.

I just wanted to touch base with you and check in.

.

Did you have any further questions I can help with?

.

.

Thanks much