My sister has a parent loan, and also credit card debt. Her…

Customer Question
Second opinion] My sister...

Second opinion] My sister has a parent loan, and also credit card debt. Her assets will not pay off the parent loan. Does the money go there first (before credit cards)? Will they write off what she can't pay? Will the credit card company write off her debt? She lives in Maryland. Thank you.

Lawyer's Assistant: The Expert's answer will cost $10 to $100, depending on the issue type and time to respond. You'll see the exact amount on the next page and can decide then. It's way less expensive than face-to-face would cost. And you're covered by our 100% satisfaction guarantee. Have you talked to a MD lawyer about this?

No.

Lawyer's Assistant: What steps have been taken so far?

None. She is still living, but has cancer.

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

No. What is the cost of this transaction?

Lawyer's Assistant: The Expert's answer will cost $10 to $100, depending on the issue type and time to respond. You'll see the exact amount on the next page and can decide then. It's way less expensive than face-to-face would cost. And you're covered by our 100% satisfaction guarantee.

Ok

Submitted: 2 months ago.Category: Legal
5/31/2018
Lawyer: Ely, Counselor at Law replied 2 months ago
Ely, Counselor at Law

Hello and welcome to JustAnswer. Please note: This is general information for educational purposes only and is not legal advice. There is no specific course of action is proposed and no attorney-client relationship or privilege formed within this conversation. (And, please ignore any reports from the site regarding your expert being offline - they are incorrect.)

I am sorry to hear about this situation. You may be confusing what "write off" means. Write off only means that the creditor has given up collecting on the debt themselves and has referred the debt to a third party collection agency.

Will they "write off" the debt (meaning send it to collections)? Likely yes.

Will they forgive the debt? Likely not.

Please note: If I tell you simply what you wish to hear, this would be unfair to you. I need to be honest with you and sometimes this means providing information that is not optimal. Negative ratings are reserved rudeness or wrong information. Please be kind!

"I STRIVE FOR FIVE!" My goal is to answer your question to your satisfaction. Please rate with five stars (★★★★★) and click SEND. It does not cost anything extra to rate. You may need to scroll left/right/up/down to see these stars. Rating my answer the bottom two stars or failing to submit the rating reflects poorly on me, even if my answer is correct. If you are not satisfied for whatever reason, or, have follow up questions, please simply reply with SEND before or after rating and let's continue to chat until you are satisfied. This is what I am here for.

even though her son is not a co-signer on the parent loan or the credit card, they can pursue payment through collections? Must we use our own money to pay these debts? My sister has very few assets.

She is only liable for the contracts (and debts arising from them) on which she signed as a CONTRACTOR or Co-SIGNOR/GUARANTOR. Nothing else.

Her family does not have to pay her debts using their own money. There is no "debt by familial relations" in most cases (with exceptions to husband/wife debt which does not apply here).

Kind Reminder: Please, use SEND button to keep chatting, or please rate positively and click SEND to submit your rating once satisfied. You may always ask follow ups at no charge before or after rating. "I STRIVE FOR FIVE!"