Stalking question, NM, Going to trial. /witness, No

Customer Question
Stalking question Lawyer's Assistant:...

Stalking question

Lawyer's Assistant: What state is this in? It matters because laws vary by location.

NM

Lawyer's Assistant: What steps have been taken so far?

Going to trial. I am Victim/witness

Submitted: 2 months ago.Category: Legal
5/31/2018
Lawyer: Nisha Jones,
 replied 2 months ago
Nisha Jones

Good morning, I am an attorney expert with the JustAnswer website, and former Prosecutor for the State Attorney's Office. I have a near 100% customer satisfaction rate, and I'll be answering your questions today. JustAnswer provides general legal information only and no attorney-client relationship is formed. Please allow me just a few minutes to review your question, thank you!

Lawyer: Nisha Jones,
 replied 2 months ago

I'm sorry to hear about your situation.

Is there a particular question I can help with in regards ***** *****?

Good morning
Lawyer: Nisha Jones,
 replied 2 months ago

I'm sorry to hear about your situation.

the situation is this.. I was seeing this man well married to ex husband. I then asked him to leave me alone, he did not and it escalated to him stalking me. Following me home from work from one city to another, waiting for me on the highway on my way home. coming to my home trying to look in. Harassing me via phone, email and text as well as driving around my work
I did get a restraining order on him, last time he came to my home I called the cops. Now it is the state vs him and I am a witness/victim in a trail that Is coming up
I have never dealt with anything like this so I do not know what to expect
are you there?
Lawyer: Nisha Jones,
 replied 2 months ago

Thanks for clarifying.

I'm sorry to hear that you went through that.

Basically the state will be trying to prove the allegations of stalking at the trial.

As part of their case, they will be calling you to the stand and will be asking you a series of questions in regards ***** ***** incidents that you've just described.

The state prosecutor will initiate the questions, so you just need to answer each question as they ask it.

The prosecutor should also be contacting you for some trial prep prior to the trial date. Trial prep should let you know what the prosecutor intends to ask you, and what information is relevant for you to remember to provide to the court in your responses.

The defense attorney will also have an opportunity to cross examine you as well.

This is where they will try to prove their theory of the case and bring up any inconsistencies, etc. with your testimony.

Lawyer: Nisha Jones,
 replied 2 months ago

I hope that helps explain some of the process!

Please remember to rate my service once you have all the information you need. If you have any other questions, please ask me - I'll be happy to respond. Thank you!

Please remember that any information shared over this site is for general informational purposes only and does not constitute legal advice. You should meet with and consult a local attorney for representation in this matter.

I have one more question
Lawyer: Nisha Jones,
 replied 2 months ago

Yes, please ask.

Well I was seeing this person, before I had asked him to leave me alone. I found out I was pregnant and I did get an abortion. The stalker was aware I was pregnant and asked me not to get the abortion but I did anyway. Is this something they can bring up in court? can they access my medical records for this case?
Lawyer: Nisha Jones,
 replied 2 months ago

Potentially yes, the abortion is something you could be asked about.

If they were able to obtain a subpoena for the medical records, then yes they might have that in their possession. You should however check with the prosecutor handling the case to inquire as to whether he/she believes this information has been subpoenaed. If it was, the prosecutor would know about it.

Hope that helps!

Don't forget to rate, thank you!

ok so anything that his attorney plans to ask, the prosecutor with know about it?
Lawyer: Nisha Jones,
 replied 2 months ago

Not anything that he intends to ask necessarily, but any evidence he intends to use at trial the prosecutor should know about.

about how long will a trial like this take?
will they use the fact that I was married against me? to make me look bad to the jury?
or can they I should say
Lawyer: Nisha Jones,
 replied 2 months ago

If this is a misdemeanor case, as opposed to a felony aggravated stalking case, then the trial should last 2-3 days at most, and can potentially be over in as little as 1 day.

I believe it is a misdemeanor case. because he staked me up until he was served with the RO
Thank you for your help
Lawyer: Nisha Jones,
 replied 2 months ago

You're welcome, no problem! If you have any more questions in the future and would like my help, please feel free to reach out to me here at JustAnswer by posting a new question, and adding "For Nisha" to the first part of your question. I'd be happy to help. Best of luck to you, take care!

Don't forget to rate before leaving, thank you!

Lawyer: Nisha Jones,
 replied 2 months ago

Hi! Just checking in to see if you have any more questions? I hope I was able to address all of your concerns. Please let me know, I'm here to help. Thanks!