My husband who I have been married to for 35 years, never…

Customer Question
My husband who I...

My husband who I have been married to for 35 years, never worked , raised 4 children, and have our home paid for in both our names has now told me since I came to Ga to help my sister who’s husband suddenly died says he’s filing for divorce and will give me nothing. I can’t get an attorney because we have never shared an acct. Are there not attorneys that will help me and have him pay? Texas is a community property state and we have a business also?

Lawyer's Assistant: What steps have you taken? Have you filed any papers in Georgia family court?

I’m also disabled

Lawyer's Assistant: Have you talked to a lawyer about this yet?

Married 35 years

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

Lonestar legal aide that said go to a website and file papers myself. He was controlling extremely abusive alcoholic.

Submitted: 23 days ago.Category: Legal
5/31/2018
Lawyer: Ray, Lawyer replied 23 days ago
Ray, Lawyer

Hi and welcome to JA. Ray here to help you today.Please bear with me a few moments while I review your question and respond.

Lawyer: Ray, Lawyer replied 23 days ago

Here are the forms to file yourself.You can ask for spousal and child support for all minor children.Also Texas is community proeprty you can force a sale of business or he buys you out for fair price.

https://texaslawhelp.org/form/original-petition-divorce-divorce-set-b

You need to file and serve him.Then contact court about setting temporary orders hearing and get your support started.You have rights here in Texas under the law.

I appreciate the chance to help you tonight.Prayers to you.

If you can positive rate 5 stars it is much appreciated.

Lawyer: Ray, Lawyer replied 23 days ago

Step 1

Obtain a divorce packet from the District Clerk’s Office in the county courthouse in your county. It will include the Original Petition for Divorce. There are two forms – one for couples with children or where the wife is pregnant, and one for couples without children. Make sure that you use the correct petition.

Step 2

Fill out the petition with all the information requested, according to the instructions that come with it.

Step 3

Make two copies of the completed petition. If your divorce is uncontested, you can fill out a waiver for your spouse to sign. The waiver form is included in the divorce packet. Your spouse will need to sign the waiver. You will need two copies of the signed waiver.

Step 4

Take all of the copies of the completed petition and waiver to the District Clerk of the county courthouse. Tell the clerk that you want to file an Original Petition for Divorce. The clerk will stamp your papers with the date and case number ***** enter your petition into the court's computer system. In some counties, you will also need to submit a copy of the Standing Order Regarding Children, Property and Conduct of Parities with your Petition. This order is found in the divorce packet. It applies to both you and your spouse and sets out the rules you must both abide by during the divorce process.

Step 5

Pay the filing fee. This varies from county to county. You may want to call beforehand to find out the amount and what forms of payment are accepted. When you have paid your fee, the clerk will keep the original petition and return the two, stamped copies to you.

Step 6

Keep one copy of the petition for your records and make sure your spouse receives the other copy.

Order up copies of last years tax return in you don't have it to see what income there is and where it came from..

https://www.irs.gov/newsroom/request-a-transcript-or-copy-of-a-prior-year-tax-return

Order your credit report here too.

You're entitled to one free copy of your credit report every 12 months from each of the three nationwide credit reporting companies. Order online from annualcreditreport.com, the only authorized website for free credit reports, or call 1-***-***-****. You will need to provide your name, address, social security number, and date of birth to verify your identity.