I have a commercial lease and the landlord is not going to…

Customer Question
I have a commercial...

I have a commercial lease and the landlord is not going to renew the lease

Lawyer's Assistant: Because laws vary from place to place, can you tell me what state the property is in?

Florida

Lawyer's Assistant: What are the terms of the lease? Any issues related to maintenance or upkeep?

No

Submitted: 2 months ago.Category: Legal
Answered in 1 hour by:
5/31/2018
Lawyer: Barrister, Attorney replied 2 months ago
Barrister, Attorney

Hello and welcome! My name is ***** ***** I am a licensed attorney and will try my best to help with your situation. There may be a slight delay in my responses as I type out an answer or reply as I am an actual practicing attorney, not an employee of JustAnswer.

.

If you can post your legal question and some of the back story about what is going on, I should be able to help.

.

.

thanks

I have a commercial leaseand the landlordis saying he is not renewingthe lease and I have not found any place to move my business what should I do? Can he just keep me out?

The phone call offers are auto generated by the website, not me personally. I do not participate in the phone call program for the site and limit my interaction with customers only to the website because I like to have time to think about a customer’s question and research it so I can provide the best answer possible in writing.

.

However, if you have requested a phone call with an attorney, your request will post to other experts that do offer this service. When another attorney accepts your request you will get additional instructions.

.

I am more than happy to continue on the website though.. just a couple minutes for me to type a reply.

.

Also when is your lease up?

What legal option can I use to delay this??

When does your lease expire?

It's expire may 1st

Did he accept May rent?

Been looking for a place and have not found one he did not give me any writing notice

Can you answer my question.... did he accept May rent?

he accept may rent

Ok, then you are now a month to month tenant... When he accepted May rent instead of filing to evict you, you then automatically became a month to month tenant. So he now has to give you a written 30 day notice to terminate your tenancy when he decides he wants to do so.

.

Once that 30 day notice expires, he can't just throw you out. However, if there is a "lock out" clause in your written lease, he could change the locks and prevent entry other than to remove your personal property. So you want to review your lease to see if this is in there.

.

If not, then when the 30 day notice expires, if he won't let you continue month to month, then he will have to file a formal eviction case in court to get a judgment and writ that the sheriff will execute to force you to vacate. That will take about a month.

.

So it will be at least 2 months before he could force you to vacate from the time he gives you a written 30 day notice.

.

.

thanks

should I try to pay this month rent or live out my deposit?

Absolutely... every month you pay means that he can't kick you out that month... So if you pay rent June 1, he can only give you a 30 day notice on July 1, and then can only file to evict on Aug 1. So it would be the end of August before he could force you out...

.

So you definitely want to pay month to month as long as you can while you look for another place..

.

As an aside, in addition to being an attorney, I have also been a landlord for over 26 years...

.

It was my pleasure to work with you and help with your question. If you ever need me in the future, you can post a new question with "For Barrister" in the title and the JustAnswer employees will get it to me.

.

If you feel I have answered all your questions, I would very much appreciate a 5 star rating by clicking on the rating scale on your screen as that is the only way I receive credit for my work.

.

.

Thanks much

Ok you will definitely get a five star rating I have I more question is the anything I can file in the court to get extension

No, the only thing you could do to stop an eviction is to file bankruptcy as that would stay any eviction for 3-4 months until the judge allowed the landlord to resume any eviction..

No I was not talking about stopping eviction I am talking about to ask for time threw the court ?

Ask for time through the court for what? The court can't force the landlord to renew your lease..

No not to force him to renew to for extra time to find a place?

The landlord would have to terminate and evict through the courts to force you to leave. But if he did so, instead of the week or so after the judgment that is normal, you could ask the judge to give you a little more time before he could evict you.

.

But the judge can't tell the landlord to give you more time if he doesn't want to extend the lease..

.

Please take a moment to rate my service positively as that is the only way I am compensated for my work.