How do you do a demand letter for breach of contract? It's…

Customer Question
How do you do...

How do you do a demand letter for breach of contract?

Lawyer's Assistant: What state is this in? It matters because laws vary by location.

It's in Texas. I have my property management company who mismanaged my properties and caused $40K in damages to two properties. One had a hoarder in there.

Lawyer's Assistant: What steps have you taken so far?

I was planning to have a demand letter and our contract expires 5/31/18. I can only go through arbitration. Is there a better way to do this?

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

That's it.

Submitted: 22 days ago.Category: Legal
5/30/2018
Lawyer: Legal Eagle, Lawyer replied 22 days ago
Legal Eagle, Lawyer

Hello! I am a licensed attorney, admitted to practice in state and federal court. I have a nearly 100% satisfaction rating (click here for more info) so all that means is that you can count on me to help today. Because I want to provide you with the most accurate answer possible, do you mind if I take a moment to review your question?

Please keep in mind that our conversation does not include an attorney-client relationship and this is for general information purposes only.

I'm sorry to hear about your situation. This appears to be a classic breach of contract. A breach of contract just simply means that one party was obligated to perform and they have either have not performed or have said that they will not perform. This applies even when there was no written agreement, but just an oral agreement between the parties. Typically, the aggrieved party is entitled to be returned to the same position they were in before the breach. There’s a site that I’ve used in the past where you can find a good template for advising of a breach of contract. It's a bit easier (and cheaper) than going through litigation and I have seen it be effective in the past. If this doesn’t work, sadly, the only other option is to either go through an informal mediation or file a lawsuit in your local court. This website is also pretty cool because you can download the forms right after purchasing. Click here to get started. What other questions did you have for me today that I can help you out with:-)?

Customer reply replied 22 days ago
I reviewed my contract with the property management, and it states that I need to go to arbitration first. How should I go about my demand of $40K. They failed to inform me that both houses had hail damage after a 2016 hail storm in San Antonio. Do I need to just send a breach of contract demand? If I get no response (which I think will happen), what would be next steps.

I think you should follow the template and just make the demand that they pay you or they arrange for arbitration as soon as possible. If you get no response, then your only choice is to sue.

Customer reply replied 22 days ago
Thanks for the quick response. I appreciate it.

The pleasure is all mine! Unless you have additional questions, there’s just a few other things I’d like you to know before we wrap up this conversation:

1. Could you look on your screen and provide me a star rating? 5-stars are always appreciated.

2. You can save me as a favorite if you would like.

3. For your benefit, you can also click here in the future to request me individually.

4. Don’t forget, if you haven’t already, you can always sign up for a membership with Just Answer and start asking more questions for cheap.

5. Don’t forget to tell your friends about justanswer.com!