I received a call from a hunt reguarding prize money from…

Customer Question
I received a call...

I received a call from a Stephen hunt reguarding prize money from American sweep stakes. They are wanting me to purchase an insurance policy from Lloyd’s of London in order to receive my money. Is this standard practice?? The number they called from us(###) ###-####I just want to know if I am being scammed .

Lawyer's Assistant: What state is this in? And just to clarify, when exactly were you notified?

I live in Portland Oregon I was suppose to have been notified on sept 16 2017 they are telling me my notices went in answered. I tend to toss stuff from publishers clearing house but did enter around that time.

Lawyer's Assistant: What steps have you taken so far?

Only phone conversations. I don’t want to give them money to get money. They are supposed to call me back tomorrow at 10:30 my time.

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

I don’t think so

Submitted: 24 days ago.Category: Legal
5/30/2018
Lawyer: Loren, Attorney replied 24 days ago
Loren, Attorney

Thank you for using JA. I am Loren, a licensed attorney for over 30 yrs., and I am here to help.

I am a certified expert on JustAnswer since 2009, with nearly 100% in satisfied customer ratings. So, we should be able to work through your problem.

I appreciate your patience as I review your question. I will post my response shortly.

This is general information and no attorney client relationship is established.

The site may ask you if you wish to speak by phone for an extra charge. Many find the phone call to be the easiest and fastest way to get the information they need without posting on a public forum. I am also happy to continue online.

There may be a slight delay in my replies as I am assisting other JA customers also. I will reply to your follow up questions.

WHILE WE ARE CHATTING DO NOT CLICK ON THE BUTTON TO REQUEST A SECOND OPINION. IT WILL LOCK ME OUT OF THE CHAT AND PREVENT ME FROM REPLYING TO YOU.

As you know, something which is too good to be true is, generally, not. Also, I am sure you suspect this is one of those times. Unfortunately, I am absolutely sure that there is no prize waiting for you from these people.

This is positively a scam. It is known as an "Advance Fee Scam".

Just remember:

1. You can not win a sweepstakes or lottery you did not enter.

2. No legitimate sweepstakes asks winners to pay upfront for insurance to release the winnings.

3. If they were genuinely holding money belonging to you should be able to tell them to just deduct the taxes, insurance, courier fee (all red flags, by the way) and send you a net check.

4. No legitimate lottery or sweepstakes collects taxes. Taxes are collected by the IRS.

Do not send any money or otherwise respond. They are trying to steal from you.

Here is an online warning from the FTC:

https://www.consumer.ftc.gov/articles/0199-prize-scams

I am sorry. I wish I could tell you otherwise, but I do not want you to be victimized by these thieves.

If (and only if) you are completely satisfied that your question is answered professionally and accurately, even if not the answer you were hoping to get, please remember to leave a favorable rating (click 5 stars in the rating section on this page). It is the only way that I am credited by JustAnswer for answering your question.

There is no additional charge to you for rating me favorably.

Lawyer: Loren, Attorney replied 23 days ago

If you have no further questions please remember to rate my service (5 Stars) so that I am credited by JA for answering your question and also so that I may close the question.

There is no additional charge to you for a 5 star rating of my service.

Thank you for using JA.