I am 61 years old on ssdi because of 5 degenerative discs in…

Customer Question
Thank you. I am...

Thank you. I am 61 years old on ssdi because of 5 degenerative discs in my back. I Can’t work. I live in Mx and maintain a us address. My check goes to my us bank. What do I have to do to continue living like this legally?

Lawyer's Assistant: What state are you in? It matters because laws vary by location.

Live in QROO Mx. Pa in US

Lawyer's Assistant: What steps have you taken so far?

I have Residente Temporal in Mx. That is all I’ve done

Submitted: 25 days ago.Category: Legal
5/30/2018
Lawyer: Law Educator, Esq., Attorney replied 25 days ago

Thank you for your question. I look forward to working with you to provide you the information you are seeking for educational purposes only.

There is nothing that you need to do other than get your Mexican visa to become a permanent resident if you want to live in Mexico permanently. You can still maintain a US bank account and even address although PA is one of the worst states along with NJ, CA and NY to claim a residence in because of taxes and because of inheritance tax on your estate when you die. Otherwise, as a ex ***** *****ving outside the US, if you have income in the US or worldwide (you likely do not, but just to make you aware) you have to file a US and PA tax return. There are other better ways if you want to maintain a US residence and that is to get somewhere in a tax free state and use a mail box service that provides an address and not just a P.O. Box number. You can get one in Alaska, Florida, Nevada, New Hampshire, Tennessee, South Dakota, Texas, Washington and Wyoming, which are all income tax free states and will mean you only need to file a federal return.

You can collect your Social Security through a US bank and be an ex pat in Mexico OR the SSA can even send your check to a Mexican bank under treaty (although that is not recommended).

Please do not forget to leave positive feedback by clicking on the 5 stars at the top of your page, as the experts are not employees of the site and get no credit for spending time with customers unless they leave positive feedback. Thank you.

Customer reply replied 25 days ago
Am I required ,by law, to notify SSDI,that I live outside the USA TO avoid putting my benefits in jeopardy???THIS is my HUGE CONCERN
Customer reply replied 25 days ago
Thank you!!!

Thank you for your reply.

No, you are not required to notify them you are living out of the US, unlike with unemployment. SS has an agreement with many countries to pay benefits to US citizens or persons entitled who are living in those countries. So it is not an issue with that.