Ihaave a question about defamation of character. What does…

Customer Question
Ihaave a question about...

Ihaave a question about defamation of character. What does it consist of and how to prove?

Lawyer's Assistant: What state is this in? It matters because laws vary by location.

Oh, Florida, Charlotte County.

Lawyer's Assistant: What steps have been taken so far?

None. I'm 62 years old, on my own with a pschopathic downstairs neighbor. I have become afraid of her.

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

I don't know.

Submitted: 2 months ago.Category: Legal
5/30/2018
Lawyer: Andrew, Lawyer replied 2 months ago
Andrew
Andrew, Lawyer

Hello I am a licensed practicing attorney with 20 years’ experience hopefully I can help with your problem. Please give me a moment to review and respond to your question.

Defamation of character is a false statement of fact which is communicated to a 3rd party. This can either be done verbally (slander) or in writing (libel). Evidence of either is proven showing that the statement is false either by witness testimony or other contradictory evidence. The defense to defamation is proving the complained of statement to be true. Once you show that the statement is false it shifts the burden to the defendant to show that it is true.

Did you have any further questions that I could answer? If not I would appreciate it if you would rate my answer (5 stars is appreciated). Thank you!