I received a summons for driving a vehicle with an expired…

Customer Question
Hello. I received a...

Hello. I received a summons for driving a vehicle with an expired registration but it was a rental vehicle and I'm not sure how to proceed.

Lawyer's Assistant: What state was the citation in? And have you consulted a local attorney?

New York. I have not contacted a local attorney because I can't really afford one.

Lawyer's Assistant: Do you need to appear in court?

Yes

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

No thank you

Submitted: 2 months ago.Category: Legal
5/30/2018
Lawyer: Olivia Kent, Attorney replied 2 months ago
Olivia Kent
Olivia Kent, Attorney

Hello and welcome to JustAnswer. My name is ***** ***** I'm an attorney. Please note this site is general information for educational purposes only. No course of action is proposed and the information provided does not constitute legal advice. You might be offered a phone call, but you are under no obligation to accept; the phone call requests don’t come from me - they’re offered by the website - but if you do want a phone call I’d be happy to do that as well. I'll be happy to help you in any way I can.
.
What can I answer for you today? I've read what you wrote but I don't see a question listed.

I need to know how to proceed. Do I go to court or should I let the rental company handle it on my behalf?

So, the important thing to know is that the rental company needs to know about it - so that you can coordinate with them as to whether they'll pay it directly - or you'll pay it and they'll reimburse you. I'm assuming they will reimburse you but if they didn't you'd need to take them to small claims court to get your money back for the ticket. You also want to take a look at the ticket to see if you have to appear or whether you can just pay by mail. And then you'll want to notify your insurance company as well - PARTICULARLY b/c it wasn't your car. But just be aware that you don't want to just "let the rental company handle it" - because don't know for sure that they will! Please let me know if that answers your question - and please ask if you have any additional questions; I'd be happy to answer them. If you don't need any additional information, if you wouldn't mind could you please take a moment to submit a rating. It DOES NOT cost you anything extra and it allows me to get credit for helping you. Sometimes people aren't aware that experts don't get any credit for the time and effort that we spend on our answers unless you rate it positively - and we get instantaneous notification of customer ratings, i.e. who gave what. 5 STARS is always appreciated! You can still ask follow up questions after rating - and of course please ask if you need clarification to anything I've written. There may be some lag in my response time if you follow up with additional questions. It just means I'm working with someone else but I will ALWAYS come back an answer your questions when I'm done.

-----------------
Reminder: This site is general information for educational purposes only. No course of action is proposed and the information provided does not constitute legal advice.