I am the primary signer on a car lease. My daughter thought…

Customer Question
I am the primary...

I am the primary signer on a car lease. My daughter thought that she might want to terminate the lease. She took it to the dealer and told the bank holding the lease her intentions. After taking it to the dealer, she changed her mind and notified the bank on the same day. She then left the car there for a month but called periodically to let them know she was coming back to get it. Last week they auctioned the car off before she went to pick it up. She has not missed any payments and was clear about changing her mind concerning the repo. They just sent me a $3383 bill for a car we are not driving. Do we have recourse?

Lawyer's Assistant: Because laws vary from place to place, can you tell me what state the property is in?

Texas

Lawyer's Assistant: What steps have you taken so far?

She has recorded phone calls with the bank, both to terminate the lease and changing her mind on the same day. She made several calls to the dealer however they are denying at least some of the calls. I talked to the dealership manager and he blamed the bank for the repo. I talked to finance on Friday and they referred me to auction which was closed. My daughter spoke with the bank today and they told her that she had given them permission to sell after telling her that it wasn’t her car in the first place. She hasn’t missed any payments since we started the lease in October and no one signed paperwork for a voluntary repo

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

I can’t think of anything

Submitted: 25 days ago.Category: Legal
5/30/2018
Lawyer: INFOLAWYER, Attorney replied 25 days ago
INFOLAWYER, Attorney
Are you asking if you can terminate early?
Customer reply replied 25 days ago
No..we decided not to do that. I’m asking would we be liable for paying penalties for early lease termination when we were not attempting to terminate the lease. They auctioned the car anyway
Customer reply replied 25 days ago
Then sent me a bill
Customer reply replied 25 days ago
Cancel my membership. I am gong to visit an attorney in person. Thanks
The contract would control rights to termination and penalty. Outside of the agreeement it needs to be negotiated!