My son missed a court date - what should he do? North

Customer Question
My son missed a...

My son missed a court date - what should he do?

Lawyer's Assistant: What state are you in? It matters because laws vary by location.

North Carolina

Lawyer's Assistant: What steps have you taken so far?

He called the Clerk of Courts to try to reschedule

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

It was an Order of Criminal Contemp dealing with a divorce case

Submitted: 2 months ago.Category: Legal
5/30/2018
Lawyer: Nisha Jones,
 replied 2 months ago
Nisha Jones

Good afternoon, I am an attorney expert with the JustAnswer website, and former Prosecutor for the State Attorney's Office. I have a near 100% customer satisfaction rate, and I'll be answering your questions today. JustAnswer provides general legal information only and no attorney-client relationship is formed. Please allow me just a few minutes to review your question, thank you!

Lawyer: Nisha Jones,
 replied 2 months ago

I'm sorry to hear about your son's situation.

This court date was for a contempt hearing, correct?

Lawyer: Nisha Jones,
 replied 2 months ago

The family court judge does have the discretion to issue a warrant for your son's failure to appear at the contempt hearing.

In other words, it's possible that there may currently be an active warrant for his arrest for the failure to appear.

Does he have the representation of an attorney in this divorce case?

If so, his attorney should be able to find out from the court record whether or not a warrant was issued.

If a warrant was issued, his attorney can file a Motion to Quash Warrant.

If one wasn't issued, then your son should just try to reschedule his hearing date as soon as possible.

I hope that helps!

Please remember to rate my service once you have all the information you need. If you have any other questions, please ask me - I'll be happy to respond. Thank you!

Please remember that any information shared over this site is for general informational purposes only and does not constitute legal advice. You should meet with and consult a local attorney for representation in this matter.

Lawyer: Nisha Jones,
 replied 2 months ago

Hi! Just checking in to see if you have any more questions? I hope I was able to address all of your concerns. Please let me know, I'm here to help. Thanks!