If i am a cohost on a podcast that paid for the url, and…

Customer Question
If i am a...

If i am a cohost on a podcast that paid for the url, and broadcasting service; and the other co host just leaves, then do i have the right to the show, its name and use?

Lawyer's Assistant: What state are you in? It matters because laws vary by location.

New york

Lawyer's Assistant: What steps have you taken so far?

Nothing. I’m going to continue to broadcast

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

Just that the other CoHost left without saying anything and has blocked me from communicating with him

Submitted: 20 days ago.Category: Legal
5/30/2018
Lawyer: Olivia Kent, Attorney replied 20 days ago
Olivia Kent
Olivia Kent, Attorney

Hello and welcome to JustAnswer. My name is ***** ***** I'm an attorney. Please note this site is general information for educational purposes only. No course of action is proposed and the information provided does not constitute legal advice. You might be offered a phone call, but you are under no obligation to accept; the phone call requests don’t come from me - they’re offered by the website - but if you do want a phone call I’d be happy to do that as well. I'll be happy to help you in any way I can.
.

What do you mean by "the right to the show"? Are you asking if ownership of the show automatically changes hands?

Customer reply replied 20 days ago
If, since I am the person that has paid for everything and did everything and had no clue where the other CoHost went, do I have the ownership of the show so I can continue broadcasting under the same name

That depends. Is there a contract governing your relationship?

Customer reply replied 20 days ago
No contract. Just verbal agreement that it is our show
Customer reply replied 20 days ago
that admission has been recorded many time via audio.

At the end of the day, something verbal is certainly better than nothing at all - but it by no means is as good as something in writing. I want you to know the landscape so you'll be prepared to address it. That's my goal, at least. And then if you choose to disregard that, that is of course your right. I don't do this for the ratings - I do this so that people can have the information they need (rather than just spinning their wheels) - and unfortunately sometimes that means giving good people information they don't love to receive. I really hope you understand that I'm just trying to help. If you give me a "bad" or "negative" rating for "good" information I'll be upset - and we do see those ratings instantaneously - but I understand that this is your choice. Please ask me anything - I'd be happy to answer any of your questions.

Customer reply replied 20 days ago
what is the answer to my question?

The answer is you do not automatically get ownership of the show. If he decided to sue you, a court would still need to decide what rights in the intellectual property each one of you has. That's why I said it's better to get something in writing because that establishes an actual legal relationship. Certainly an oral contract is helpful as well - but a mere statement is not an oral contract. Does that make sense? I just want you to know what you're up against so you can potentially address it before the show picked up by someone or makes a ton of money or something that inevitably makes people come out of the woodwork and reach a hand out!

Customer reply replied 20 days ago
Okay. Got it

If you wouldn't mind submitting a rating I would appreciate it. That's how the site credits us. 5 stars is always appreciated :) And if I can ever be of assistance in the future, you can reach me directly by going to: https://www.justanswer.com/law/expert-droliviak-jd-md/?rpt=3800 or selecting me as a Favorite. Best of luck to you!