A patient cashed a check for surgical services provided

Customer Question
A patient cashed a...

A patient cashed a check for surgical services provided total of $24K.

Lawyer's Assistant: What state is the patient in? It matters because laws vary by location.

New Jersey

Lawyer's Assistant: What steps has the patient taken so far?

Ignores calls

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

I was the Assistant surgeon the main surgeon received payment directly from the insurance company. Insurance company sent my reimbursement to the patient.

Submitted: 2 months ago.Category: Legal
5/30/2018
Lawyer: INFOLAWYER, Attorney replied 2 months ago
INFOLAWYER, Attorney
Are you asking how to recover from patient?
Ok. Often you would send the debt to a collections firms and then a law firm that handles debts all on contingency fee.If you do in-house consider the following:A letter from you or a local lawyer can be effective in several ways. It can avoid costly litigation and help bring about a settlement. It also helps organize the claim and if it goes to court shows the judge you tried in good faith to resolve it! It also may produce from the other side admissions or agreementIf the other side considers risk, legal fees and time you should get the outcome you seekIf needed, If you sue in court you may end up with a judgment. The judgment generally allows you to levy on bank accounts, lien real estate and work with the sheriff office civil enforcement division. Many lawsuits result in settlement - which expect the judge to encourage.By being prepared and pressing your claim, the other side should feel the pressure and consider the risk of losing and legal fees. That realization can help bring about a settlement!Please let me know if the reply is acceptable by responding “yes” or “acceptable”
where do I go to file with the courts
State court clerks office. Counsel could also handle on commission. If owed to a corporation or entity need to be pursued by legal counsel.martindale.com and findlaw.com are both excellent lookup directories. Both highly rated. Both used by lawyers. Easy to search and find local options.Please click on the 5 star rating (*****) on the question page - that’s how I get credit for my time by the site. If you dont see the rating button, please just reply “5 stars” Much appreciated!

awaiting your reply, thank you.