Two years ago a tenant moved into my rental. He was a single…

Two years ago a...

Two years ago a tenant moved into my rental. He was a single dad with three children, ages 16, 15, and 13. He recently passed away, leaving his children in the residence. The oldest is now 18, yet never signed the lease, as she was 16 at the time of the signing. The 18 year old has been out of high school for a year and is currently unemployed. The family Is on HUD. For multiple reasons, I would like to end their tenancy. The rental agreement in effect under the father was a month to month tenancy. Out of understanding for their situation, I would be willing to give them a 90 day notice. I would even be willing to waive the portion of the rent that they pay for the next three months. My question is, what are my obligations to her/them? I never signed an agreement with her, but is she bound to the same contract her father was? This family tends to have a lot of issues and was barely held together by the father. With him gone, I fear that chaos will ensue and I will have a house full of unemployed teenagers and ex wive(s) all looking for their meal ticket. I know that sounds extreme, but the sharks are already circling, and I’m really nervous. I would like to avoid any problems before they start.

Lawyer's Assistant: What state are you in? It matters because laws vary by location.

Oregon

Lawyer's Assistant: What steps have you taken so far?

He passed away only last week, so nothing yet, other than notifying HUD of his passing.

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

I was dating the Dad for part of their tenancy, but I broke it off with him. Nothing changed in our agreement. But as a result, the 18 year old daughter seems to hate me. I assume she hates me for ending the relationship with her father, although that was months ago. Her father died of cancer. I’m concerned because the daughter’s attitude and behavior is very unpleasant towards me and I just don’t know what she is going to say/do at any time. He was my “handyman” and I moved him into that house to help him and to have him help me fix it up. Very little of the work was done that he had originally agreed to do. I will now need to hire someone to get that done.

5/30/2018
Legal Eagle, Lawyer

Hello! I am a licensed attorney, admitted to practice in state and federal court. I have a nearly 100% satisfaction rating (click here for more info) so all that means is that you can count on me to help today. Because I want to provide you with the most accurate answer possible, do you mind if I take a moment to review your question?

Please keep in mind that our conversation does not include an attorney-client relationship and this is for general information purposes only.

I'm sorry to hear about your situation and the passing of your tenant. In this case, because this person is not on the lease and because the lease terminated upon the renter's death, the adult is now considered a month to month tenant, meaning that you have to give him at least 30 days written notice before evicting him from the property, but you can give him more if you suggest. You can come to an agreement with the person as well regarding rent over that 90 day period. You don't have to give a reason for the eviction either. Because the lease agreement ended upon the death of the father, your obligations under that lease have ended. With proper notification, you can do this legally.

Because I value your input, I would like to know what other questions did you have for me today that I can help you out with:-)?

Of course!

Great news. Did you get a chance to see what I put? What questions did you have for me about that?

Thank you so much! I have been so worried about this because the daughter is a little bit of a wild child. I feel for their situation deeply, but fear for my house and their neighbors!

The pleasure is all mine! Unless you have additional questions, there’s just a few other things I’d like you to know before we wrap up this conversation:

1. Could you look on your screen and provide me a star rating? 5-stars are always appreciated.

2. You can save me as a favorite if you would like.

3. For your benefit, you can also click here in the future to request me individually.

4. Don’t forget, if you haven’t already, you can always sign up for a membership with Just Answer and start asking more questions for cheap.

5. Don’t forget to tell your friends about justanswer.com!

Legal Eagle, Lawyer