I'm interested in preparing a small claim against someone…

Customer Question
I'm interested in preparing...

I'm interested in preparing a small claim against someone but I don't have all of the receipts of what I paid. Should I still go through with it?

Lawyer's Assistant: What state are you in? It matters because laws vary by location.

I'm in Richmond, Virginia

Lawyer's Assistant: What steps have you taken so far?

Nothing so far. Preparing to get and complete the form.

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

Not sure

Submitted: 2 months ago.Category: Legal
Answered in 1 minute by:
5/30/2018
Lawyer: Loren, Attorney replied 2 months ago
Loren, Attorney

Thank you for using JA. I am Loren, a licensed attorney for over 30 yrs., and I am here to help.

I am a certified expert on JustAnswer since 2009, with nearly 100% in satisfied customer ratings. So, we should be able to work through your problem.

I appreciate your patience as I review your question. I will post my response shortly.

This is general information and no attorney client relationship is established.

The site may ask you if you wish to speak by phone for an extra charge. Many find the phone call to be the easiest and fastest way to get the information they need without posting on a public forum. I am also happy to continue online.

There may be a slight delay in my replies as I am assisting other JA customers also. I will reply to your follow up questions.

WHILE WE ARE CHATTING DO NOT CLICK ON THE BUTTON TO REQUEST A SECOND OPINION. IT WILL LOCK ME OUT OF THE CHAT AND PREVENT ME FROM REPLYING TO YOU.

Do you have other direct or indirect evidence of the payments?

I am planning to get copies of my debit card and check payments from the bank

Thank you for the additional information.

The burden of proof is yours, but if you have bank evidence of the payment, that should be be fine.

There is not much risk to filing in small claims. Small claims court is designed to be a "user friendly", simplified process, so that you can present a claim without an attorney. Also, it moves much more quickly than regular court. You can get the necessary forms to start from the clerk of the court.

If (and only if) you are completely satisfied that your question is answered professionally and accurately, even if not the answer you were hoping to get, please remember to leave a favorable rating (click 5 stars in the rating section on this page). It is the only way that I am credited by JustAnswer for answering your question.

There is no additional charge to you for rating me favorably.