We have a garnishment from both our checks from the same…

Customer Question
We have a garnishment...

We have a garnishment from both our checks from the same landlord can they really take the full amou t from both

Lawyer's Assistant: What state are you in? It matters because laws vary by location.

Michigan

Lawyer's Assistant: What steps have you taken so far?

Got taken to court while living there..money judgement

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

Moved out Then garnishment

Submitted: 2 months ago.Category: Legal
5/30/2018
Lawyer: Law Educator, Esq., Attorney replied 2 months ago

Thank you for your question. I look forward to working with you to provide you the information you are seeking for educational purposes only.

They cannot sue for more than you owe, but if both of you were tenants, the landlord can garnish both of your checks until the full bill is paid. IF the landlord it taking more than the amount of the judgment from the two of you then you can sue in court for return of any money he has garnished over and above the total judgment.

Please do not forget to leave positive feedback by clicking on the 5 stars at the top of your page, as the experts are not employees of the site and get no credit for spending time with customers unless they leave positive feedback. Thank you.

Ok. Is the money judgement enough to go right to garnishment? And we even gave him money the day of court abd sent another money order 2 weeks after. I just dont understand why we did t even get a chance to show a judge we were attempting some payment

Thank you for your reply

Yes, if the money judgment against you has not been paid in full they can go directly to garnishment. If you paid him everything due, then he could not get a garnishment. As long as you owe money on the judgment I am afraid he can garnish even if you made other partial payments.