Tina, and I am having a problem with my Landlord. They are…

Hi Tina, I'm Todd...

Hi Tina, I'm Todd and I am having a problem with my Landlord. They are trying to charge me for 2 months Rent because I have to break my Lease and move to Texas because my job transferred me to West Texas because my position does not exist in this area anymore. I have been a model Tenant for more then a year. I just resigned a Lease last month. I had no idea they were going to Transfer me to West Texas until a few weeks ago.

Lawyer's Assistant: Have you talked to a TX lawyer about this?

No, I am still residing in WA State.

Lawyer's Assistant: What steps have you taken so far?

I handed them a copy of my transfer order from NCR Corporation. I consulted with a local attorney. Now I am talking with you.

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

No, I just don't want to pay $2660.00 that is almost all my budget for this move.

5/30/2018
Olivia Kent
Olivia Kent, Attorney

Hello and welcome to JustAnswer. My name is ***** ***** I'm an attorney. Please note this site is for general information for educational purposes only and does not constitute legal advice. Communicating with an expert on this site does not establish an attorney-client relationship. You might be offered a phone call, but you are under no obligation to accept; the phone call requests don’t come from me - they’re offered by the site - but if you do want a phone call I’d be happy to do that.
.
What does your lease say about terminating your lease agreement? A lease is a contract, a legal document that will control the relationship between you and the building/landlord and tell you under what types of circumstances you can break the lease (and what the penalties are).

It says that I would owe two months of Rent it does not give any conditions. I feel that I would not be breaking my Lease at all if I didn't have to to stay employed.

Okay, so the MOST important thing to know here is that your landlord doesn't care why you're breaking your lease (whether you just don't want to live there or you're being transferred doesn't make much difference to your landlord). If the lease states there is a two month penalty then you'd need to pay that - UNLESS your landlord was willing to waive the fee. I'll be honest, they have zero obligation to waive the fee and that's why they frequently don't. Even being a model tenant doesn't change that. Since a lease is a contract, the terms of that contract will control. There are "good parts" to that and there are "bad parts" to that - and one of those bad parts is that the landlord can insist that the lease terms be honored. I'm sorry - I don't want to give you false hope; I do want you to know the landscape so you'll be prepared to respond. I don't do this for the ratings - I do this so that people can have the information they need (rather just spinning their wheels) - and unfortunately sometimes that means giving good people information they don't love to receive. I really hope you understand that I'm just trying to help. If you give me a "bad" or "negative" rating for "good" information I'll be upset - and we do see those ratings instantaneously - but I understand that this is your choice. Please ask me anything - I'd be happy to answer any of your questions.
-----------
Reminder: This site is for general information for educational purposes only and does not constitute legal advice.

Olivia Kent
Olivia Kent, Attorney
You have been most helpful Ma'ma y'all have a nice evening now ya' hear!
Joycelaw
Joycelaw, Attorney
Phone call session started

It's my pleasure. If you need anything in the future please reach out. If you'd like to select me as a 'Favorite' on the site, it'll allow you to direct questions to me in the future if you'd like :) Best of luck to you.