I just contacted what I thought was a breeder for puppies I…

Customer Question
I just contacted what...

I just contacted what I thought was a breeder for puppies I saw on tv. I just called today and excitedly wired money to purchase a puppy so I can pick it up tomorrow to surprise my husband for our 20th anniversary. I just called today and haven’t picked up the dog well he doesn’t want it and they said I’m out of luck and have to take the dog since they have my bank wire and I signed their contract howeve I signed it without any information filled out from them or signed. Is this binding? I am surprised a reputable breeder that made me fill out an application today to be sure we were qualified owners would make us take a puppy my husband absolutely does not want. I really messed up.

Lawyer's Assistant: What state are you in? And is a local attorney or other consumer protection advocate helping with this?

I ended up finding out I was actually speaking with a sales person that works for the Breeder.

Lawyer's Assistant: What steps have you taken so far?

Ohio. No I just called today and paid today. It hasn’t even been 12 hours.

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

My husband called the salesman and explained he didn’t want it and had no input but he said he was just the salesman and the Breeder says we have to take it. The dog was $12,000. I’m so mad at myself for being so stupid.

Submitted: 24 days ago.Category: Legal
5/30/2018
Lawyer: Olivia Kent, Attorney replied 24 days ago
Olivia Kent
Olivia Kent, Attorney

Hello and welcome to JustAnswer. My name is ***** ***** I'm an attorney. Please note this site is for general information for educational purposes only and does not constitute legal advice. Communicating with an expert on this site does not establish an attorney-client relationship. You might be offered a phone call, but you are under no obligation to accept; the phone call requests don’t come from me - they’re offered by the site - but if you do want a phone call I’d be happy to do that.
.

The priority here would be to read the contract that you signed to see EXACTLY what it says and what it obligates you to do. I do suspect, however, that whatever you signed does obligate you to take the puppy - and part of the reason it's important to know what your contract says is b/c you want to be able to determine if they're charging you for "boarding" the dog by not picking the dog up. Unfortunately, the fact that you didn't read the contract wouldn't matter - but the pertinent terms would need to either be in there or agreed to (because in order to have a contract the two parties need to have a "meeting of the minds" which basically means they have to agree to a set of terms; if one of them changes their mind later that wouldn't affect the validity of the agreement). I'm sorry. I don't want to give you false hope; I do want you to know the landscape so you'll be prepared to respond. I don't do this for the ratings - I do this so that people can have the information they need (rather just spinning their wheels) - and unfortunately sometimes that means giving good people information they don't love to receive. I really hope you understand that I'm just trying to help. If you give me a "bad" or "negative" rating for "good" information I'll be upset - and we do see those ratings instantaneously - but I understand that this is your choice. Please ask me anything - I'd be happy to answer any of your questions.
-----------
Reminder: This site is for general information for educational purposes only and does not constitute legal advice.

Customer reply replied 24 days ago
What if they sent a contract that wasn’t signed by them?

In theory, if you cancelled the contract before they signed theirs you could argue there wasn't a contract... but they could just turn around and argue that there was an oral contract. Do you see what I mean?

Or, frankly, the could just lie and say they signed it before you tried to get out of it. I hate to say that but it's not that far fetched...

I wish I could tell you otherwise.

Customer reply replied 24 days ago
I’m sorry I can’t afford to spend anymore money on this I’m in a deep hole. Thank you.

Are you speaking about the phone request? Those are automated by the site... no need to accept!

If you need anything in the future please reach out. If you'd like to select me as a 'Favorite' on the site, it'll allow you to direct questions to me in the future if you'd like. Best of luck to you.