I am living in an apartment. My building has about 60

Customer Question
Second opinion] I am...

Second opinion] I am living in an apartment. My building has about 60 apartments. We got a new manager. She says our rent should be in by the 4th of the month. I always new the law said the 5th of the month was the latest. Is that true?

Lawyer's Assistant: What steps have you taken so far? Have you prepared or filed any paperwork?

No..I just want to know the law in Oregon.

Lawyer's Assistant: Have you talked to an Oregon lawyer about this?

No

Submitted: 2 months ago.Category: Legal
Answered in 1 hour by:
5/30/2018
Lawyer: Barrister, Attorney replied 2 months ago
Barrister, Attorney

Hello and welcome! My name is ***** ***** I am a licensed attorney and will try my best to help with your situation. There may be a slight delay in my responses as I type out an answer or reply as I am an actual practicing attorney, not an employee of JustAnswer.

.

Under OR law, (Or. Rev. Stat. § 90.260(1)), there is a 4 day grace period.

.

90.260 Late rent payment charge or fee; restrictions; calculation. (1) A landlord may impose a late charge or fee, however designated, only if:

.

(a) The rent payment is not received by the fourth day of the weekly or monthly rental period for which rent is payable; and

.

(b) There exists a written rental agreement that specifies:

.

(A) The tenant’s obligation to pay a late charge on delinquent rent payments;

(B) The type and amount of the late charge, as described in subsection (2) of this section; and

(C) The date on which rent payments are due and the date or day on which late charges become due.

.

So if you pay on or before midnight of the 4th, the landlord can't charge a late fee..

.

If you are paying on the 5th, it is late.

.

.

thanks

Hello again,

.

I just wanted to touch base with you and check in.

.

Did you have any further questions I can help with?

.

.

Thanks much