I just received a non-compete form in the mail from a

Customer Question
I just received a...

I just received a non-compete form in the mail from a previous employer. I used to work at Royal Maids. I do not recall signing or even initialing this paper and the paper they sent me the paper i was sent was the partition b with no signature on it so I don't even know if it's legitimate. But I've never petitioned any of his customers after I was gone for over 6 months she asked me to clean her home after she quit his services, he got my phone number from another employee.

Lawyer's Assistant: Have you discussed the non-compete agreement with a manager or HR? Or with a lawyer?

No I was trying to seek legal advice before I pursued anything .

Lawyer's Assistant: Are you an "at will" employee? Do you belong to a union?

I do not belong to a union and this is Florida so everybody can get fired for anything I no longer work for him I haven't worked for him for almost a year

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

I just want to know if I need to seek legal representation? If I should just let the customer go? Or if doesn't have a leg to stand on because I didn't pursue his customers she pursued me

Submitted: 2 months ago.Category: Legal
5/29/2018
Lawyer: Legal Eagle, Lawyer replied 2 months ago
Legal Eagle, Lawyer

Hello! I am a licensed attorney, admitted to practice in state and federal court. I have a nearly 100% satisfaction rating (click here for more info) so all that means is that you can count on me to help today. Because I want to provide you with the most accurate answer possible, do you mind if I take a moment to review your question?

Please keep in mind that our conversation does not include an attorney-client relationship and this is for general information purposes only.

Generally, non-compete agreements are going to be legal if they meet certain requirements. One of those requirements is that they must a) ancillary (connected) to another agreement and b) they must be reasonable in terms of their time, scope, and geography. This means that an employer cannot ban an employee from ever working from anyone else ever again throughout the world indefinitely.

If you did not sign a non-compete agreement at the time you were working for them, and they haven't provided you with any information, then the non-compete is invalid.

You may want to consider just writing a cease and desist letter. There’s a site that I’ve used in the past where you can find a good template cease and desist letter (click here). Lawyers use letters like these often to enforce their client’s rights. It only costs $10 and it is way cheaper than litigation. How else can I help you today?