I purchased a car for a friend as I had promised. The

I purchased a car...

I purchased a car for a friend as I had promised. The conditions were that they obtain a California drivers license and pay to have the title transferred into their name. All paid the insurance on the car. The title is in my name, and the car is insured on my policy. She is supposed to be the only driver. She had not obtained a California DL, she has made no attempt to transfer title. And, her husband is driving the car in violation of my insurance policy. Her husband also does not have a valid California DL. Can I repossess or take back the car?

Lawyer's Assistant: Because traffic laws vary from place to place, can you tell me what state this is in?

CALIFORNIA

Lawyer's Assistant: Do you need to appear in court?

Not yet, but I will if necessary

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

No. That pretty much covers the issue.

5/29/2018
Legal Eagle, Lawyer

Hello! I am a licensed attorney, admitted to practice in state and federal court. I have a nearly 100% satisfaction rating (click here for more info) so all that means is that you can count on me to help today. Because I want to provide you with the most accurate answer possible, do you mind if I take a moment to review your question?

Please keep in mind that our conversation does not include an attorney-client relationship and this is for general information purposes only.

Understand

The answer to your question is yes; you can repossess the car, but you could also sue for money damages or specific performance as well in lieu of that.

This appears to be a classic breach of contract. A breach of contract just simply means that one party was obligated to perform and they have either have not performed or have said that they will not perform. This applies even when there was no written agreement, but just an oral agreement between the parties. Typically, the aggrieved party is entitled to be returned to the same position they were in before the breach. There’s a site that I’ve used in the past where you can find a good template for advising of a breach of contract. It's a bit easier (and cheaper) than going through litigation and I have seen it be effective in the past. If this doesn’t work, sadly, the only other option is to either go through an informal mediation or file a lawsuit in your local court. This website is also pretty cool because you can download the forms right after purchasing. Click here to get started. What other questions did you have for me today that I can help you out with:-)?

No. Text is fine. Easier to keep to refer back to

Oh, that’s not a problem with the phone call. The system automatically asks if you want one, but there is no problem declining the request. Did you get a chance to see what I put? What questions did you have for me about that?

Perfect. Going to web site and download the forms. Thank you so much.

The pleasure is all mine! Unless you have additional questions, there’s just a few other things I’d like you to know before we wrap up this conversation:

1. Could you look on your screen and provide me a star rating? 5-stars are always appreciated.

2. You can save me as a favorite if you would like.

3. For your benefit, you can also click here in the future to request me individually.

4. Don’t forget, if you haven’t already, you can always sign up for a membership with Just Answer and start asking more questions for cheap.

5. Don’t forget to tell your friends about justanswer.com!

Legal Eagle, Lawyer