Let’s say person #1 has a current tax warrant for back

Customer Question
Let’s say person #1...

Let’s say person #1 has a current tax warrant for back income taxes owed. Person #1 files a small claims judgement for $ against person #2 and wins in court. Person #2 pays the amount owed in judgement, will this $ be intercepted due to the current tax warrant?

Lawyer's Assistant: What state is this in? It matters because laws vary by location.

WI

Lawyer's Assistant: What steps have been taken so far?

None at this point. I owe $ for basketball program fees and asked for proof of the amount for what my son participated in and he’s trying to over charge me and is now threatening to file small claims - I see a current tax warrant on file for him so wondering if we go to court and I do pay if he will even get the $. I’m agreeing to him that I will pay $ that I owe but he’s overcharging now so I’m refusing unless he can show me that’s what I actually owe.

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

No just want to know if $ won would be intercepted by courts for his current tax warrant or if he would get the money.

Submitted: 2 months ago.Category: Legal
5/29/2018
Lawyer: Legal Eagle, Lawyer replied 2 months ago
Legal Eagle, Lawyer

Hello! I am a licensed attorney, admitted to practice in state and federal court. I have a nearly 100% satisfaction rating (click here for more info) so all that means is that you can count on me to help today. Because I want to provide you with the most accurate answer possible, do you mind if I take a moment to review your question?

Please keep in mind that our conversation does not include an attorney-client relationship and this is for general information purposes only.

Thank you for your patience. The answer to your question is no; private judgments aren't collectable by the state or federal taxing agencies. They would have to either get a lien on the debtor's private property, garnish your wages, or levy a bank account, but they can't intercept this particular judgment.

Because I value your input, I would like to know what other questions did you have for me today that I can help you out with:-)?