My son is going through a divorce in Arizona. His

My son is going...

My son is going through a divorce in Arizona. His father-in-law has a vehicle parked in front of my house in Washington state. Hi soon to be wife was awarded the vehicle by the Arizona court(as it was meant for her anyway). the papers state that she is to arrange for the retrieval of the vehicle at her convenience. It has been siting in front of our house for 2 years prior to the divorce being filed. The vehicle is under Washington state title and was last registered in Washington. I would like the vehicle out from in font of my house. Can I legally have it towed away? It is not in good condition but would at least run with some minor work. does the Arizona court have jurisdiction over this vehicle?

Lawyer's Assistant: What steps have been taken? Have any papers been filed in AZ family court?

Yes. The divorce is nearly finalized. all he papers say is that she is to make arrangements to get the car. no time frame given. but she won't speak with my wife or myself.

Lawyer's Assistant: Have they talked to a lawyer about this yet?

My son is asking his attorney, but no response just yet. It has only been a day or so

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

No, i don't thin so

Answered in 1 minute by:
5/29/2018
P. Simmons, Attorney

Hi, My name is***** am an attorney with over 16 years experience. Hopefully I can help you with your legal question.

wait...what? What do you mean "does the AZ court have jurisdiction over this vehicle"??

The car is part of the marital property, no?

ye

Thank you.

Then the court has jurisdiction over the car (since it is part of the marital estate)...you can give the owner notice to pick up the car and a reasonable time to do so. IF they refuse, then you can have the car towed. IF you do so before giving them notice and the chance to recover the rig? You could be sued for violation of your duty of care over the car

Please let me know if you have more questions. I am happy to help if I can. Otherwise, please rate the answer so I may get credit for my work.

Thank you

Welcome. Please take the time to accept the answer, I would truly appreciate that
phil

P. Simmons, Attorney