My daughter adopted a dog 3 days ago that we had to take to…

Customer Question
My daughter adopted a...

My daughter adopted a dog 3 days ago that we had to take to the Vet today and has been hospitalized with Parvovirus. Our Vet told us that she has been sick for at least 10 days. What legal grounds do we have to take action on the shelter we adopted from in the state of California?

Lawyer's Assistant: Have you talked to a CA lawyer about this?

No. Just starting to see if there are any grounds or not before we look at pursuing reimbursement.

Lawyer's Assistant: What steps have you taken so far?

We signed lots of waivers not holding them liable for any costs but feel that since they didn't disclose that something has to be able to be done. We haven't done anything yet.

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

I don't think so.

Submitted: 2 months ago.Category: Legal
5/29/2018
Lawyer: Olivia Kent, Attorney replied 2 months ago
Olivia Kent
Olivia Kent, Attorney

Hello and welcome to JustAnswer. My name is ***** ***** I'm an attorney. Please note this site is for general information for educational purposes only and does not constitute legal advice. Communicating with an expert on this site does not establish an attorney-client relationship. You might be offered a phone call, but you are under no obligation to accept; the phone call requests don’t come from me - they’re offered by the site - but if you do want a phone call I’d be happy to do that.
.
Where you'd want to start is by reviewing the miscellaneous documents you received and potentially signed regarding the health of the dog. It it states that they can't vouch for the health of the dog if you wanted to sue them - and you could, in small claims court generally - you'd need to establish that they knew or should have known that the dog was sick when she was adopted. I'm not going to lie - it's not going to be the easiest thing to prove that they knew that the dog was sick. Please let me know if I've answered your question or if there's anything you need me to clarify, explain or follow up on - and I'd be happy to do so! If I have answered your question, if you wouldn't mind, could you please take a moment to submit a rating so that I receive credit for working with you. Experts only get credit for the time and effort we spend on our answers if you rate positively - 3 or more stars; 5 stars is definitely appreciated! It DOES NOT cost you anything at all to submit a rating; it just allows me to get credit for helping you. We get notification of our ratings instantly. You CAN still ask follow up questions after rating. There may be a lag between your question and my answer; this is because I'm either not at my computer or helping someone else but I assure you I will ALWAYS come back and answer your question; please do NOT rate negatively because you think I'm not going to come back - this is not like an auto connect-type communication with some companies. We are *real* lawyers and we may be in meetings or on the phone when you next respond so please be patient if you don't get a response in 10 minutes - or even an hour. I WILL come back and answer all of your questions.
-----------
Reminder: This site is for general information for educational purposes only and does not constitute legal advice.