My landlord never gave me a definitive list of charges when…

Customer Question
Hello. My landlord never...

Hello. My landlord never gave me a definitive list of charges when I moved out and did not refund my deposit. Want to take action to get deposit

Lawyer's Assistant: What state is this in? And just to clarify, when was the purchase made?

Colorado. Lease expired 6/1/17

Lawyer's Assistant: What are the terms of the lease? Any issues related to maintenance or upkeep?

12 month. Some maintenance issues but invoices show estimTed charges for yard for services never done and painting interior of house that never had paint

Submitted: 2 months ago.Category: Legal
5/29/2018
Lawyer: Legal Eagle, Lawyer replied 2 months ago
Legal Eagle, Lawyer

Hello! I am a licensed attorney, admitted to practice in state and federal court. I have a nearly 100% satisfaction rating (click here for more info) so all that means is that you can count on me to help today. Because I want to provide you with the most accurate answer possible, do you mind if I take a moment to review your question?

Please keep in mind that our conversation does not include an attorney-client relationship and this is for general information purposes only.

Security deposit issues are common among landlords and tenants. Part of the reason is because what is considered necessary for repair/cleaning vs. reasonable wear and tear is subjective. Each party has an interest in keeping as much money as possible. Nonetheless, the landlord has responsibilities under the law that must be recognized.

Generally, the law requires that the landlord provide an itemized list of the cleaning and repairs that must be done, along with the charges owed or the remaining amount after the deductions usually within 14-30 days depending on your jurisdiction. The failure to do so can lead to damages paid out by the landlord.

Yep. Thanks

If you have concerns about the timing or reasonableness of your security deposit letter, it is important to begin discussions with the landlord now. Sometimes, they either forget or they are just negligent in their actions so you have to take the lead. There’s a site that I’ve used in the past where you can find a good template for a letter that puts the landlord on notice that their actions regarding the security deposit is unlawful (click here). It only costs $10 and it is way cheaper than litigation. If they don’t comply, your only other option is small claims court in your jurisdiction.

Because I value your input, I would like to know what other questions did you have for me today that I can help you out with:-)?

Thanks. I’ve been in touch multiple times with the landlord. They are not willing to listen or comply in any way

I can imagine. It's not out of the ordinary.

What other questions did you have for me today about this?