I bought a home in So Lake Tahoe end of Oct. The bathroom…

I bought a home...

I bought a home in So Lake Tahoe end of Oct. The bathroom ceiling is not high enough as it slants under attic roof. I was not informed that it would not pass code and I’d have to redo bathroom. An inspector came into the home and said it had to be legAlized which I now find is going to cost a lot. Is anyone else liable for this as I had the disclosure done etc.

Lawyer's Assistant: What steps have you taken so far? Have you prepared or filed any paperwork?

No, I

Lawyer's Assistant: Where is the home located?

No, I haven’t taken steps although I have fixed other things the inspector said must be corrected. The permit so that I could fix thins was six hundred dollars. Now I’ve fixed several things that were not up to code.

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

Oh, I’ve had an engineer and architect look at the house and to put in a dormer would cost thousands of dollars. The dormer would provide the necessary headroom to stand and use the toilet. The house is 60 years old. The people who previously owned it never got permits for anything. It went from i1 bathroom when built to 2 bathrooms when I bought it. I was never informed of no permits etc. even by my realtor.

Answered in 1 minute by:
5/29/2018
INFOLAWYER, Attorney
I am very sorry you had to go through this.You have claim against seller under contract theory.I can suggest some options. would you like that information? please let me know and i will put it together and respond shortly. You can wait or come back later when we email you that a reply is ready. Thanks for your patience. This is not the answer. just an opening question so I can better focus the answer and make it more helpful.
Ok
Ok. A letter from you or a local lawyer can be effective in several ways. It can avoid costly litigation and help bring about a settlement. It also helps organize the claim and if it goes to court shows the judge you tried in good faith to resolve it! It also may produce from the other side admissions or agreement.If the other side considers risk, legal fees and time you should get the outcome you seekBy being prepared and pressing your claim, the other side should feel the pressure and consider the risk of losing and legal fees. That realization can help bring about a settlement!If needed, If you sue in court you may end up with a judgment. The judgment generally allows you to levy on bank accounts, lien real estate and work with the sheriff office civil enforcement division. Many lawsuits result in settlement - which expect the judge to encourage.You want to prepare your case by creating a time line starting from the earliest event. For each event, write down key details and witnesses and if there is a document that relates to it, save it and refer to it. This timeline can be very valuable in narrating your case and presenting it later in a concrete and specific way.Please let me know if the reply is acceptable by responding “yes” or “acceptable”
Thanks. Please click on the 5 star rating (*****) on the question page - that’s how I get credit for my time by the site. If you dont see the rating button, please just reply “5 stars” Much appreciated!
INFOLAWYER, Attorney
Joycelaw
Joycelaw, Attorney
Phone call session started
call me.
if you get an automatic phone call request, you can accept it and a phone based law expert will handle. if you prefer to proceed by chat with me, just reply to the chat. some customers choose both, but the choice is yours! Thanks
The furnace also needs sheet metal to bring to code . This was never disclosed either. I found the tag on the furnace with the name of the co. Which installed I have had 3 appt. with them and they never showed or called. I drive up from LA to be available for the appt. I’m taking a ‘Complaint Form’ to the Planning Commission today after I talk to you.
Sounds like a plan! Please click on the 5 star rating (*****) on the question page - that’s how I get credit for my time by the site. If you dont see the rating button, please just reply “5 stars” Much appreciated!