Husband of 9 months is requesting I sign post nuptial

Customer Question
Husband of 9 months...

Husband of 9 months is requesting I sign post nuptial agreement. I make 100k at same company, for last 7 yrs. He started tow truck business a month ago and has very little incoming funds. However his tow truck, car & motorcycle are paid for with inheritance from Grandmas estate. He also has more money coming to him he wants to protect. We own nothing together & have no Bill's jointly. My name is ***** ***** lease , utilities, comcast & I pay for him to have health coverage for work. How do I ensure his agreement drafted by his attorney doesn't put my 401k, life insurance, mustang, Harley, furnishings in condo I bought doesn't get taken if we divorce?

Lawyer's Assistant: What steps have you taken? Have you filed any papers in family court?

No divorce or separation agreements have been signed. We are sure to divorce if I dont sign his post nuptial agreement that he will give me today.

Lawyer's Assistant: Family law varies by state. What state are you in?

Colorado. Jefferson county

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

That's really it in a nutshell

Submitted: 24 days ago.Category: Legal
Customer reply replied 24 days ago
Hello? Anyone working on my question?
5/29/2018
Lawyer: Barrister, Attorney replied 24 days ago
Barrister, Attorney

Hello and welcome! My name is ***** ***** I am a licensed attorney and will try my best to help with your situation. There may be a slight delay in my responses as I type out an answer or reply as I am an actual practicing attorney, not an employee of JustAnswer.

.

Anything you had before you married is your separate property and stays that way indefinitely. If you were to divorce later, you take with you what you brought into the marriage.

.

Only assets that you acquire during the marriage are divided, with the exception of inheritances and gifts... those remain the separate property of the recipient unless the spouse is added to titles or the money is commingled in joint accounts.

.

So you can simply state in the post nup that any assets you brought into the marriage, you leave with...which is what the law already is..

.

.

thanks

Customer reply replied 24 days ago
That's exactly what I thought in reading Colorados divorce laws. Just to confirm, I can sign his post nuptial as long as it adheres to laws in which what's acquired separate stays separate. Unless we decide to create a joint account.

, I can sign his post nuptial as long as it adheres to laws in which what's acquired separate stays separate. Unless we decide to create a joint account.

.

Correct, keep everything in your separate names and it remains separate.. If you put assets in a pot with both your names on it, then it is marital property..

.

.

thanks

Lawyer: Barrister, Attorney replied 23 days ago

Hello again,

.

I just wanted to touch base with you and check in.

.

Did you have any further questions I can help with?

.

.

Thanks much