I recently had my watch stolen at my gym (value is $10,000).

Customer Question
Hi, I recently had...

Hi, I recently had my watch stolen at my gym (value is $10,000). the police has two suspects they are looking for. I understand gyms have a disclaimer that all thefts are not their responsibility, however the gym acted irresponsible by allowing these two suspects into the locker room. When I saw their application, their forms were not even filled out completely (nor accurately), and they failed to even get a photocopy of their drivers license, which should be a pretty standard procedure in my opinion

Lawyer's Assistant: What state are you in? It matters because laws vary by location.

Do you think I have a valid claim to sue based on negligence and sue the gym for the theft ($10,000) ? NY NYC to be exact

Lawyer's Assistant: What steps have you taken so far?

Police took a report, I provided the serial # to my watch, police did a DNA test for prints. I called Rolex to let them know of the theft. I have email the gym explaining my situation

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

I think that is it

Submitted: 2 months ago.Category: Legal
5/29/2018
Lawyer: Nisha Jones,
 replied 2 months ago
Nisha Jones

Good afternoon, I am an attorney expert with the JustAnswer website, and former Prosecutor for the State Attorney's Office. I have a near 100% customer satisfaction rate, and I'll be answering your questions today. JustAnswer provides general legal information only and does not constitute legal advice. Please allow me just a few minutes to review your question, thank you!

Lawyer: Nisha Jones,
 replied 2 months ago

I'm sorry to hear about your situation. Give me just a few minutes to finish typing up some information for you, thanks!

ok thank you.
Lawyer: Nisha Jones,
 replied 2 months ago

New York is a comparative negligence state.

This means that you can still recover monetary damages, even if a defendant alleges that you the plaintiff are partially at fault for the loss (ie. leaving items "at your own risk" in a gym locker room).

You're correct in that the gym was possibly negligent in failing to properly screen and collect these individual's data, which could have prevented the theft, or at the very least could have aided in the apprehension of the perpetrators.

You should consider meeting with a local civil attorney to discuss the possibility of filing a lawsuit against the gym.

You can contact the New York State Bar for a referral to a civil lawyer in your area.

The phone number is:

(###) ###-####/p>

I hope that helps!

Please remember to rate my service once you have all the information you need. If you have any other questions, please ask me - I'll be happy to respond. Thank you!

Please remember that any information shared over this site is for general informational purposes only and does not constitute legal advice. You should meet with and consult a local attorney for representation in this matter.

Lawyer: Nisha Jones,
 replied 2 months ago

Hi! Just checking in to see if you have any more questions? I hope I was able to address all of your concerns. Please let me know, I'm here to help. Thanks!