I made an agreement with a mechanic to loan him 1500 to

Customer Question
I made an agreement...

I made an agreement with a mechanic to loan him 1500 to cover his shop rent and he would pay the money back and install an engine in a 2001 Pontiac grand am as interest. The agreement was written up, we both signed it and had it notarized. how do I go about getting him to pay me what he owes. He no longer answers my calls.

Lawyer's Assistant: Because laws vary from place to place, can you tell me what state the property is in?

Louisiana

Lawyer's Assistant: What steps have you taken so far?

None yet I don't even know where to start

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

No, I don't think so.

Submitted: 2 months ago.Category: Legal
Answered in 1 minute by:
5/29/2018
Lawyer: Legal Eagle, Lawyer replied 2 months ago
Legal Eagle, Lawyer

Hello! I am a licensed attorney, admitted to practice in state and federal court. I have a nearly 100% satisfaction rating (click here for more info) so all that means is that you can count on me to help today. Because I want to provide you with the most accurate answer possible, do you mind if I take a moment to review your question?

Please keep in mind that our conversation does not include an attorney-client relationship and this is for general information purposes only.

This appears to be a classic breach of contract if he has not repaid the loan. A breach of contract just simply means that one party was obligated to perform and they have either have not performed or have said that they will not perform. This applies even when there was no written agreement, but just an oral agreement between the parties. Typically, the aggrieved party is entitled to be returned to the same position they were in before the breach. There’s a site that I’ve used in the past where you can find a good template for advising of a breach of contract. It's a bit easier (and cheaper) than going through litigation and I have seen it be effective in the past. If this doesn’t work, sadly, the only other option is to either go through an informal mediation or file a lawsuit in your local court. This website is also pretty cool because you can download the forms right after purchasing. Click here to get started. What other questions did you have for me today that I can help you out with:-)?