Uncertain what indemnity clause means for in landscaping…

Uncertain what indemnity clause...

Uncertain what indemnity clause means for in landscaping contract. "Each party shall indemnify and hold other party harmless from any and all liability...from third party claim..." Does that leave me open to any issue?

Lawyer's Assistant: What state are you in? It matters because laws vary by location.

Sorry, forgot that - California

Lawyer's Assistant: What steps have you taken so far?

Just received contract. Have not signed yet.

5/29/2018
Legal Eagle, Lawyer

Hello! I am a licensed attorney, admitted to practice in state and federal court. I have a nearly 100% satisfaction rating (click here for more info) so all that means is that you can count on me to help today. Because I want to provide you with the most accurate answer possible, do you mind if I take a moment to review your question?

Please keep in mind that our conversation does not include an attorney-client relationship and this is for general information purposes only.

Thanks for your patience. So, generally, the indemnity clause means that you are going to defend your landscaper against any claims by a third party. For example, this could be a neighbor that files a claim for something the landscaper did and vice versa. The only problem I see with this though is that it basically requires you to defend them despite what they've done to anyone else. That is something I would take out and not have an indemnity clause. Now, this doesn't mean that you can't hold them liable for something they've done to you, so that's good.

Because I value your input, I would like to know what other questions did you have for me today that I can help you out with:-)?

Does that mean I am financially responsible if a third party files claim on landscaper

No. It means that you will defend any claims against the landscaper by a third party. It doesn't hold you liable for anything other than to do that.

Legal Eagle, Lawyer
Phone call session started