I rented a home in Illinois and the contract was between…

Customer Question
I rented a home...

I rented a home in Illinois and the contract was between myself and my ex. The lease was six months and he never paid his half can I recoup?

Lawyer's Assistant: What steps have you taken so far? Have you prepared or filed any paperwork?

No I havent

Lawyer's Assistant: Have you talked to an IL lawyer about this?

No

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

He also wrote a fake contract with his son and his son is trying to use this against me, however I never afraid nor signed this document for work.

Submitted: 26 days ago.Category: Legal
Answered in 1 minute by:
5/29/2018
Lawyer: Nisha Jones,
 replied 26 days ago
Nisha Jones

Good morning, I am an attorney expert with the JustAnswer website, and former Prosecutor for the State Attorney's Office. I have a near 100% customer satisfaction rate, and I'll be answering your questions today. JustAnswer provides general legal information only and does not constitute legal advice. Please allow me just a few minutes to review your question, thank you!

Lawyer: Nisha Jones,
 replied 26 days ago

I'm sorry to hear about your situation. Give me just a few minutes to finish typing up some information for you, thanks!

Customer reply replied 26 days ago
I have all check stubs proving that I paid. My landlord also has all evidence that I paid rent and utilities
Customer reply replied 26 days ago
I honestly just need guidance? I am out of 3k/month is what we roughly paid for this Home.
Lawyer: Nisha Jones,
 replied 26 days ago

Yes, if both your names were on the lease, but he did not contribute to the rent, you can seek reimbursement from him.

Your recourse would be to file a claim in small claims court to recover his share of the rent.

Small claims court is designed to be user friendly so you wouldn't necessarily need the representation of a lawyer.

You can go in to the clerk of courts office at your local small claims courthouse and they can help provide you with the forms to get started.

You can also request that your court costs and filing fees be reimbursed by the defendant.

I hope that helps!

Please remember to rate my service once you have all the information you need. If you have any other questions, please ask me - I'll be happy to respond. Thank you!

Please remember that any information shared over this site is for general informational purposes only and does not constitute legal advice. You shoul

Customer reply replied 26 days ago
Thank you
Lawyer: Nisha Jones,
 replied 26 days ago

You're welcome, no problem! If you have any more questions in the future and would like my help, please feel free to reach out to me here at JustAnswer by posting a new question, and adding "For Nisha" to the first part of your question. I'd be happy to help. Best of luck to you, take care!

Don't forget to rate before leaving, thank you!

Lawyer: Nisha Jones,
 replied 25 days ago

Hi! Just checking in to see if you have any more questions? I hope I was able to address all of your concerns. Please let me know, I'm here to help. Thanks!

Customer reply replied 25 days ago
How do I formally file in the state of Illinois? I lived in Downers Grove and looked at our lease with both of our signatures and my landlord is also willing to take witness that he never paid a dime
Lawyer: Nisha Jones,
 replied 25 days ago

You would need to go into your local small claims court, into the clerk's office there, and request the forms from them for filing a small claims suit.

They should be able to provide you with all of the necessary paperwork and help you with getting it filed.

I hope that helps clarify!

Please don't forget to rate so I can be credited for my time and help with your question. Thank you!