I have a big mouse problem literally catching 5 or 6 daily.

Customer Question
I have a big...

I have a big mouse problem literally catching 5 or 6 daily. I’ve contacted my building management multiple times , i keep my apartment very clean and that does not deter them. Management hasn’t done anything yet to resolve the issue , it’s gotten to the point that i don’t even feel comfortable living in my own apartment . What do i do ?

Lawyer's Assistant: What state are you in? It matters because laws vary by location.

New Jersey

Lawyer's Assistant: What steps have you taken so far?

I’ve contacted management MULTIPLE times . I’ve tried patching holes myself . I’ve called the city health department, whom came out and inspected my apartment and told me that building management has 3 days to find a solution and still nothing and that was weeks ago

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

I’m just in a big panic I’ve eaten contaminated food and had to go to my primary care physician to be checked for any diseases. There feces everywhere , i can barely live here i i stay out or pay for air bnb or at a friends when i can

Submitted: 22 days ago.Category: Legal
Answered in 1 minute by:
5/29/2018
Lawyer: Loren, Attorney replied 22 days ago
Loren, Attorney
Thank you for using JA. I am Loren, a licensed attorney for over 30 yrs., and I am here to help.
I am a certified expert on JustAnswer since 2009, with nearly 100% in satisfied customer ratings. So, we should be able to work through your problem.
I appreciate your patience as I review your question. I will post my response shortly.
This is general information and no attorney client relationship is established.
The site may ask you if you wish to speak by phone for an extra charge. Many find the phone call to be the easiest and fastest way to get the information they need without posting on a public forum. I am also happy to continue online.
There may be a slight delay in my replies as I am assisting other JA customers also. I will reply to your follow up questions.
WHILE WE ARE CHATTING DO NOT CLICK ON THE BUTTON TO REQUEST A SECOND OPINION. IT WILL LOCK ME OUT OF THE CHAT AND PREVENT ME FROM REPLYING TO YOU.
Customer reply replied 22 days ago
Okay no problem
I am sorry to hear of your trouble with the landlord, but I have information which will be useful to you.Every tenancy carries with it the implied warranty of habitability and the right to quiet enjoyment of the premises in exchange for the rent.
If the landlord is refusing to make necessary repairs or maintenance and it is interfering with the use and habitability of the leased premises then you can sue for breach. In the course of the suit you may be able to leverage an early termination with the return of all deposits.
A riskier way is to move out now and declare the lease terminated due to "constructive eviction". In other words, the action or inaction of the landlord has made the premises unhabitable and you are forced to move out.
You still have to sue and the risk is that the court finds the premises WAS habitable and you end up being liable for breach.
If the claim does not exceed $3000, you can sue in small claims court. Small claims court is designed to be a "user friendly", simplified process, so that you can present a claim without an attorney. Also, it moves much more quickly than regular court. You can get the necessary forms to start from the clerk of the court.
Make sure you have photos and a written record of the damages and your request for repairs.
I am happy to continue if you have further questions.
If (and only if) you are completely satisfied that your question is answered, please remember to leave a favorable rating (click 5 stars in the rating section on this page). It is the only way that I am credited by JustAnswer for answering your question.
There is no additional charge to you for rating me favorably.