I have a painter I've worked with who did not complete the…

I have a painter...

I have a painter I've worked with who did not complete the job. He is saying he did. Not only did he not do it, he did a really sloppy job on many things (something in EVERY room) and had a guy working for him that, as he stated, "a 5 year old could have done better. He verbally gave me an estimate of $3600 plus materials but is now saying I owe him $5700. He will not come back, says the job is done and wants me to show him detailed pictures of anything that needs to be corrected. I have pictures and videos and a professional builder who made the video with me outlining each room and the mistakes made. If the painter doesn't agree to come back and finish, I have to hire a new painter. We did not have any written agreement. He confirmed the $3600 plus paint fee twice. This painter was recommended by a friend and did a great job on the outside. He started 2 1/2 weeks late and it's been 4 weeks since he started. We never did a walk through together after he corrected a few things. What are my rights? Can he do something that affects my credit score?

Lawyer's Assistant: What state are you in? It matters because laws vary by location.

California

Lawyer's Assistant: What steps have you taken so far?

Only writing a letter stating a bit of what happened. He was paid $3000 already. I've now written a long letter detailing most things. I haven't sent it yet. I've left a phone message asking if he'll call to talk with me.

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

What does this cost to do this?

Lawyer's Assistant: The Expert's answer will cost $10 to $100, depending on the issue type and time to respond. You'll see the exact amount on the next page and can decide then. It's way less expensive than face-to-face would cost. And you're covered by our 100% satisfaction guarantee.

OK, thank you

5/28/2018
Legal Eagle, Lawyer

Hello! I am a licensed attorney, admitted to practice in state and federal court. I have a nearly 100% satisfaction rating (click here for more info) so all that means is that you can count on me to help today. Because I want to provide you with the most accurate answer possible, do you mind if I take a moment to review your question?

Please keep in mind that our conversation does not include an attorney-client relationship and this is for general information purposes only.

that's fine

Great, thank you! The system may automatically ask you for a phone call; however, it’s not required that you take it. Bear with me a moment while I review…

Legal Eagle, Lawyer
Phone call session started