I am a defendant in a civil case, I am now representing my…

Customer Question
I am a defendant...

I am a defendant in a civil case, I am now representing my self once again. I have asked the judge to grant me a continuance before in order to seek legal council. May I ask again? The plaintiff set a hearing for May 31,2018

Lawyer's Assistant: What state are you in? It matters because laws vary by location.

Fl

Lawyer's Assistant: What steps have you taken so far?

I was asked to be deposed and made the plaintiffs attorney aware that the dates were not available to me

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

I can’t afford to hire an attorney

Submitted: 21 days ago.Category: Legal
Answered in 1 minute by:
5/28/2018
Lawyer: LegalKnowledge, Attorney replied 21 days ago
LegalKnowledge, Attorney

Hi! I will be the professional that will be helping you today. I look forward to providing you with information to help with your question and concern

Good afternoon. You shared you are unable to afford legal counsel, so why ask for a continuance to retain legal counsel if you can not hire one? I just want to make sure I understand the situation.

Customer reply replied 21 days ago
I was notified to appear for a deposition , I now represent myself and would like to ask the courts for more time to prepare myself if I can’t get proper legal counsel. This was sent to me via mail/ email on the 24th of this month
Customer reply replied 21 days ago
I do not want to call

Yes, you could. If good cause can be shown by a party, a judge can grant a motion for a continuance. it is not uncommon and attorneys file for them all the time. In this case, if they did not coordinate a date with you and you objected to this and need time to prepare, you can ask the Judge to order that the deposition be canceled and reset. Based on what you shared, it is not a court hearing that needs to be continued but a deposition that needs to be reset. If the other side will not work with, you need to advise the Judge of the same and ask that it be coordinated and reset.

Customer reply replied 21 days ago
May I file for a continuance at the court house tomorrow and not appear in court on this Thursday?

You would need to appear unless and until it is granted. The filing of the motion alone does not mean the matter is continued or you do not need to appear and need to wait for the Judge to review the motion and grant it.

Customer reply replied 21 days ago
I also have one of the plaintiffs that has sent a motorized copy to all parties denying any knowledge of this case or being a client of the attorneys of the plantiff

That will be up to the Judge to decide, if they are trying to get this dismissed.

Customer reply replied 21 days ago
She is not a plantiff nor was she ever their client. She never signed any papers agreeing to be a part of this civil cas

So the Judge has to decide if they should be dismissed, if they area named party.

Customer reply replied 21 days ago
I am the one who wants to get this dismissed
Customer reply replied 21 days ago
Isn’t this forgery to contact an individual and threaten them to agree that they were fully aware of this lawsuit?
Customer reply replied 21 days ago
claim they have signed documents with their signature ?

If you filed a motion to dismiss, you need to set it for hearing and you can appear and the other party and this can be argued. If you are not a party to the lawsuit and they have no legal basis to name you and keep you in the suit, the Judge can dismiss this. It needs to be known why you were named and if they did this to harass you or abuse the system, the Judge can sanction them.

Customer reply replied 21 days ago
It’s not me , it’s my niece that was included in the suit by her fsther
Then she needs to answer to this and defend herself. You can not represent her and she needs to do it or retain legal counsel.
Customer reply replied 21 days ago
I sent her a set of questions in which she responded to correctly
Customer reply replied 21 days ago
This was originally prepared by my attorney, I just removed his name and added mine, since I am representing myself
This is outside the scope of the original questions so the site does just require you post this as a new question and myself or another expert can answer it. I just kindly ask that you rate my help for the question which I answered above so the site will provide me with the proper credit. Thank you for understanding.

Please let me know if you have any follow up questions or need any clarification on something which I stated above. Also, remember to rate my service at the top of this page, before exiting the site, so I can receive credit for my help. I hope you found it to be 5 STARS! Only rate my answer when you are 100% satisfied. If you feel the need to click either of the two lower ratings to the left, please stop and reply to me. I want to make sure your experience with the site was as pleasurable as possible and that you are satisfied with the help I provided.

Lawyer: LegalKnowledge, Attorney replied 18 days ago

I just wanted to follow up and see if you had any other questions or needed me to clarify something. I am here to help, so please let me know. Thanks!