I was texting this girl and I never asked for nudes she sent…

Customer Question
I was texting this...

I was texting this girl and I never asked for nudes she sent them to me then she asked me to meet up I told her no then she said I am grown up and you daont want to meet up so I said yes bit never met up with her I didn't even give her my address and now her dad is extorting me for money

Lawyer's Assistant: What state are you in? It matters because laws vary by location.

I'm in Michigan

Lawyer's Assistant: What steps have you taken so far?

Nothing I'm so scared cuz I don't want to go to jail I don't know where to start

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

That's it maam

Submitted: 26 days ago.Category: Legal
5/28/2018
Lawyer: Legal Eagle, Lawyer replied 26 days ago
Legal Eagle, Lawyer

Hello! I am a licensed attorney, admitted to practice in state and federal court. I have a nearly 100% satisfaction rating (click here for more info) so all that means is that you can count on me to help today. Because I want to provide you with the most accurate answer possible, do you mind if I take a moment to review your question?

Please keep in mind that our conversation does not include an attorney-client relationship and this is for general information purposes only.

Customer reply replied 26 days ago
Okay I don't know what to do I need help because I've never done this before
Customer reply replied 26 days ago
Please I need advice

I'm sorry to hear about this. Have you gone to the police about this yet?

Customer reply replied 26 days ago
No because I have the pictures his daughter sent me that I never asked for at all he's threatening to put me in jail if I don't give him 1250

Are you sure that she's a child? Or is she just saying so?

Customer reply replied 26 days ago
I have no idea I never met her she said she was grown up but the dad is saying she's 16 and she's told me she's 17 but like I said I never even wanted them in the first place
Customer reply replied 26 days ago
Please i don't need this ruining my life

I see. I think this is something you should bring to the police. The law does generally prohibit child pornography; however, the law also prohibits extortion. If a person is chatting with someone who represents themselves as an adult or otherwise believes is an adult, it is not automatically a crime if it turns out that person is a child. To be guilty of extortion, a person has to demand money or property through some force or threats of embarrassment or significant harm. In your case, it is relatively common for people to try to extort money out of mostly men on the hopes the men will pay. But the problem is that it is highly improbable that this person would go to the police because if they were concerned, they would have already. You should refer this to the police immediately so they can track and arrest these people for engaging int his behavior.

Because I value your input, I would like to know whether you have any other questions for me today that I could help you with?

Customer reply replied 26 days ago
Please I'm so scared right now

I can certainly understand. I wouldn't pay them any more money. You'll have to deal with some level of embarrassment in explaining this to the police, but you are a victim of a crime and you'll have to advocate for yourself until this is over.

You may want to consider just writing a cease and desist letter advising them that you're going to go to the police. There’s a site that I’ve used in the past where you can find a good template cease and desist letter (click here). Lawyers use letters like these often to enforce their client’s rights. It only costs $10 and it is way cheaper than litigation. How else can I help you today?

Customer reply replied 26 days ago
To does this sound like I'm going to jail?

I have no reason to believe you would go to jail at all. Unless this person was clearly a minor, it's not likely. Because it's impossible to tell someone's age just by looking at them, I have no reason to believe charges would be brought against you.

Customer reply replied 26 days ago
He's demanding money by Wednesday that's all he wants

I wouldn't give it to him. He'll just keep asking and the demands will only get worse. This is probably your best time to stop it.

Customer reply replied 26 days ago
I'm broke I can't afford anything right now so how do I stop it without spending money like I don't want to do anything stupid obviously
Customer reply replied 26 days ago
Do you think it's just a scam and he's just trying to get money from me like that's what I think is going on

The best way to stop it without spending money is to go to the police. They'll be there to assist you in doing this. You could also send the perpetrators a message stating you're going to the police regarding their actions, you've chatted with a lawyer who doesn't believe you'd be in any legal trouble, and that their actions could lead to fines and penalties. I absolutely believe it is a scam and I have seen many like this.

Customer reply replied 26 days ago
Thank you sir so much I'm crying because you just released me from so much stress how do I go to the police a bout this

The pleasure is all mine! Unless you have additional questions, there’s just a few other things I’d like you to know before we wrap up this conversation:

1. Could you look on your screen and provide me a star rating? 5-stars are always appreciated.

2. You can save me as a favorite if you would like.

3. For your benefit, you can also click here in the future to request me individually.

4. Don’t forget, if you haven’t already, you can always sign up for a membership with Just Answer and start asking more questions for cheap.

5. Don’t forget to tell your friends about justanswer.com!

Customer reply replied 26 days ago
They aren't going to arrest me for having the pictures on my phone like I never wanted them I never asked for them

I don't think they will. You have to keep in mind that it's their call to do so, but if you approach them and explain you're a crime victim, that'll help you considerably.