My friend is a realtor and he had an independent contractor…

Customer Question
My friend is a realtor...
My friend is a realtor and he had an independent contractor working for him that he had to terminate. The independent contractor has not responded for a week to requests to remove his personal furniture and belongings. In AZ, I a believe this independent contractor is considered an employee as far as real estate laws go. What type of notice and or steps can my friend take to get his terminated employee to remove his items?
Submitted: 2 months ago.Category: Legal
5/28/2018
Lawyer: Legal Eagle, Lawyer replied 2 months ago
Legal Eagle, Lawyer

Hello! I am a licensed attorney, admitted to practice in state and federal court. I have a nearly 100% satisfaction rating (click here for more info) so all that means is that you can count on me to help today. Because I want to provide you with the most accurate answer possible, do you mind if I take a moment to review your question?

Please keep in mind that our conversation does not include an attorney-client relationship and this is for general information purposes only.

Thanks so much for your patience. I'm sorry to hear about your situation. So, independent contractors are not considered employees; they are entirely separate classifications. If your friend had this person working as an independent contractor, your friend could terminate the contractual relationship. But the thing is that the person's status as an IC or an employee is notwithstanding in this case. If a person has their furniture in someone else's home or office without their consent, then that person is committing a trespass. This means that your friend could theoretically sue if the IC doesn't come to pick up the stuff.

Does my friend owe any notice to the independent contractor or if my friend does get rid of his stuff can the independent contractor sue my friend?

No; the law doesn't' require any notice to the IC if he does get rid of the stuff; however, if your friend sells or otherwise disposes of the stuff without the IC's consent, then the IC could sue. My recommendation would be to consider just writing a formal demand letter to the IC advising them that they have 14 days to arrange for the pickup of their furniture or else it'll be disposed. There’s a site that I’ve used in the past where you can find a good template for a demand letter (click here). It only costs $10 and it is way cheaper than litigation. How else can I help you today?