I worked for a Retail Grocery store for 28 yes. 7 mos. After…

Customer Question
I worked for a...

I worked for a Retail Grocery store for 28 yes. 7 mos. After working 10 days without a day off. I ate a piece of pan dulce that had already been scanned as a loss to the store due to it expiration date( Our store policy in freshness " we will not sell expired food") My store director on several occasions has asked me " How many years have you worked for the company?" 28 years. " Week, its hard to teach an old dog new tricks" What she meant by that I would not dare to question. My judgement and my honesty to say " I was so hungry I stole bread off the food bank to my director, I dropped a piece and he made a joke about the 5 sec. rule. " Technical I didn't cause shrink to the company when the items were already scanned as a loss. Yes, I consumed food without paying for it but, it was not for sale because it was expired. I only spoke to Loss prevtion. Never was I questioned by human resource other than the statement that my store director read to me saying I was terminated. I asked for a copy or if she could read it go me again the following day. They had already shipped my file & employment records off to corporate office. I need to call HR for that info. I feel I was discriminated due to my age. These people failed to speak to my department managers for my work performances, time and attendance. I had just volunteered to reset our market department while I was on a FMLA my department manager had just come back from his medical leave and was not pleased with the former changes done. I worked one day week ending April 1, 2018. My FMLA ended April 2, 2018. Company failed to do a non biases investigation.

Lawyer's Assistant: Have you discussed the termination with a manager or HR? Or with a lawyer?

I don't feel company HR has employees best interest. I don't think HR investigate my timeline in time and attendance to see with their own eye that my punch in times were decline from my routine. I am 60 yes old and recently had 2 total knee replacement, and 2 rotator cuff repair.

Lawyer's Assistant: Are you an "at will" employee? Do you belong to a union?

"At will. I am a former Union employee from Kroger's 10 years prior.

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

This is just a brief summary. I have seen the GOOD, the bad ,and the ugly. I wonder how many employees who had to work 10 days in a row without a day off in this retail business have made bad judgement calls not just in the store policy, but out on the streets while driving,crossing the street. How fatigue overtakes our best judgement. The lord prayer states "... Give us this day our day bread and forgive our trespasses as we forgive those who trespass against us".

Submitted: 2 months ago.Category: Legal
5/28/2018
Lawyer: Loren, Attorney replied 2 months ago
Loren, Attorney

Thank you for using JA. I am Loren, a licensed attorney for over 30 yrs., and I am here to help.

I am a certified expert on JustAnswer since 2009, with nearly 100% in satisfied customer ratings. So, we should be able to work through your problem.

I appreciate your patience as I review your question. I will post my response shortly.

This is general information and no attorney client relationship is established.

The site may ask you if you wish to speak by phone for an extra charge. Many find the phone call to be the easiest and fastest way to get the information they need without posting on a public forum. I am also happy to continue online.

There may be a slight delay in my replies as I am assisting other JA customers also. I will reply to your follow up questions.

WHILE WE ARE CHATTING DO NOT CLICK ON THE BUTTON TO REQUEST A SECOND OPINION. IT WILL LOCK ME OUT OF THE CHAT AND PREVENT ME FROM REPLYING TO YOU.

I am sorry to hear of your difficulty.

Before I answer a bit more detail would be helpful please.

Do you have a written employment contract, for a fixed term, requiring cause for demotion, discipline or termination?

Do you believe you are being treated differently than other employees due to your gender, race, religion, ethnicity, etc.?