My briefcase has been confiscated at the guatemala border.

Customer Question
My briefcase has been...

My briefcase has been confiscated at the guatemala border. They are asking for three documents one of which is a diplomatic immunity seal of delivery certicication. They want $10,000US for that certificatetha is thhat legal and is that cost resonable

Lawyer's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. How long have you been dealing with this?

About 1 week

Lawyer's Assistant: Do you plan on doing the work yourself?

No a securities company in the UK will do the work and is the one asking for the $10,000US

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else we should know to help you best?

There are 2 other documents that have expired and need to be renewed and they are askig $10,000US for each of thosedocuments as well.

Submitted: 29 days ago.Category: Legal
5/27/2018
Lawyer: Zoey, JD, Attorney replied 29 days ago
Zoey, JD
Zoey, JD, Attorney

I'm Zoey.

I've reviewed your post. You are in the US. How did your briefcase get confiscated at the Guatemala border and why would a securities company in the UK be able to accomplish anything in Guatemala? Are you somehow involved with an internet contact you have never met in person who is claiming to send you something valuable via a diplomatic courier? Does he claim to be in the military or working for the UN?

Customer reply replied 29 days ago
I am in the US. I had it with a Securities company their and I paid them 3,500 to send it to me. however it has been confiscated in Guatemala. No I am not involved with an internet contact. No I have not met this person, how ever I did leave the briefcase with his company. Assurd Securities whom is going out of business by month end, so they ask that I get my stuff. No one is in the military to my knowledge.

The reason I asked about the internet contact is that this is a wildly preposterous scenario and has all of the hallmarks of a scam. You may in fact have left a briefcase in Guatemala. If you tell me you did, I have no cause to doubt you. But whoever you are hearing from is scamming you, and i doubt that they even have your briefcase. They are just creating excuses for you to wire large sums of money to thieves who have absolutely nothng of yours that you will ever get.

Are you a diplomat? If you're not, you're not entitled to immunity.

Requirements like this are only seen in advance fee frauds:

http://419.bittenus.com/13/11/us-customs-and-border-protection.html

http://www.scamradar.com/reports/2536/diplomatic-immunity-seal-of-transferdist.html

Even the FBI warns of this so called Diplomatic Immunity Seal:

https://archives.fbi.gov/archives/baltimore/press-releases/2012/bogus-fbi-funds-notifications-e-mails

There are bunches and bunches of additional scam reports.

I'm sorry but you need to cease contact with these people. Send no money. They have no briefcase and the only thing you're going to get is swindled. Report the fraud online to the FBI at www.IC3.gov which is their Internet Crime Complaint Center.

Customer reply replied 29 days ago
they do have the briefcase because it was left with the securities company to hold for me as it contained very important docs and a large sum of money from work that I done.
Customer reply replied 29 days ago
the briefcase was not left in Guatemala it was left in the UK with the securities company. The securities company collected $3.500 from me to have it shipped to me and in the process of getting to me it had to go through customs in Guatemala.

What they are asking for does not exist except in scams. So either they don't really have your briefcase really or they are swindling you and have no intention of turning it over. I can't possibly know which for sure.

But what they are asking of you is not for real. You can call the US Embassy in Guataemala, and I'm sure they will tell you the same thing.

Did you pack up that briefcase in the UK by yourself? Did you physically entrust it to a company in the UK by personally handing it over yourself to someone in the UK?

Customer reply replied 29 days ago
I packed the briefcase myself in the UK and left it with Assurd Securities Co. Yes I entrusted it to the company in the UK personally. Now they have informed me that they are going out of business and I must get my briefcase.

Companies House, the government agency which keeps the annual tax filings for all UK companies has no record of any company named Assurd Securities Company (or Assured in case you misspelled it) doing business in the UK.

https://beta.companieshouse.gov.uk/

Here. Look at this:

http://www.crimes-of-persuasion.com/Nigerian/security_companies.htm

I stand by my statement that you're being defrauded. I'm confident that if you come up with $10K there will be other regulations for which you must pay more. And then more. And then more. And then more. And that briefcase will not get an inch closer to you.