My mother just died in Indiana and my sister and I are

Customer Question
My mother just died...

My mother just died in Indiana and my sister and I are wanting to know if we need to tie the estate up in probate because there is no will

Lawyer's Assistant: Since estate law varies from place to place, can you tell me what state this is in?

Indiana

Lawyer's Assistant: What documents or supporting evidence do you have?

For what

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

No we at trying to find out what we need to do

Submitted: 2 months ago.Category: Legal
Answered in 1 minute by:
5/27/2018
Lawyer: Edward Young,
 replied 2 months ago
Edward Young

Hi. My name is ***** ***** I am a licensed attorney. I would be happy to provide assistance. Please give me a few minutes to formulate a response. Also, please keep in mind that our conversation does not include an attorney-client relationship and this is for general information purposes only.

ok
Lawyer: Edward Young,
 replied 2 months ago

Was your mother married?

father is deceased
Lawyer: Edward Young,
 replied 2 months ago

Thank you. Please give me a few minutes to prepare a response.

do we not get a response
Lawyer: Barrister, Attorney replied 2 months ago
Barrister, Attorney

Hello, different expert here..

.

What do you mean "tie up the estate"? Are you asking if you need to file a probate case to settle mother's estate?

.

If that is what you are asking, does mother have any asset in her name....land, bank accounts, investments, vehicles, etc.?

.

.

thanks

she has a car and a house with a lien, and contents of house

Ok, then yes, someone would have to file a formal probate case and petition to be appointed as Administrator of the estate (same thing as executor, but if there is no will). That person would then gather all assets and file an inventory with the court. Then they pay any debts, bills, final expenses, and final taxes. Then they would get clearances from the state and IRS saying no taxes are due and then file an accounting with the court and request permission to disburse all assets to the heirs and close the estate.

.

With no will, if father has passed, then it would be all the children (or their estates if deceased) that would inherit the surplus assets equally.

.

.

thanks

Hello again,

.

I just wanted to touch base with you and check in.

.

Did you have any further questions I can help with?

.

.

Thanks much