Are Arizona Home Owners exempt from Open Mtg. Law? Again…

Customer Question
Are Arizona Home Owners...

Are Arizona Home Owners exempt from Open Mtg. Law?

Lawyer's Assistant: Have you talked to an AZ lawyer about this?

No, again this is a homewoners Association.

Lawyer's Assistant: What steps have been taken so far?

I now find out the HOA has taken executive session meetings without posting meeting.

Submitted: 2 months ago.Category: Legal
5/26/2018
Lawyer: Thelawman2, Attorney replied 2 months ago
Thelawman2
Thelawman2, Attorney

Hello, my name is ***** ***** I will be helping you today.

There is a specific HOA Open Meeting Law. An HOA can only meet in executive session for the following reasons:

– LEGAL: To hear, or to further consider, the advice of legal counsel;

– LAWSUITS: To discuss pending or potential litigation. This would include discussions regarding legal action to collect assessments; to enforce the CCRs; to preserve the CCRs against a homeowner’s lawsuit; third-party legal action (such as with contractors or insurance companies); and administrative actions;

– PERSONAL: Personal, health, or finance issues with respect to any individual member; and

– EMPLOYMENT: The performance, health, compensation, or complaints directed against any individual working for the association or working under the direction of the association.

The HOA cannot meet for any other reason in executive session. All meetings must be preceded by a notice. You can file a complaint at the following website: http://www.azre.gov/HOA/HOA.aspx

I hope this has been helpful. If so, please provide a positive rating so I get credit for helping you today!