My cousin adopted a dog almost 6 years ago. His dog was

My cousin adopted a...

My cousin adopted a dog almost 6 years ago. His dog was taken by rescue organization he adopted Lou from. They are refusing to give Lou back. They said he never completed the adoption papers. He sent them the copies of the Signed, by Both parties, contract. How can we get his dog back. This is killing him. I have copy of contract.

Lawyer's Assistant: What state is your cousin in? It matters because laws vary by location.

Minnesota

Lawyer's Assistant: What steps has your cousin taken so far?

Many messages back and forth. Pleading, begging, started a go fund me page to raise money for a legal battle.

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

The "rescue group has threatened him, basically their lawyer did.

5/26/2018
Attorney2
Attorney2, Attorney

Welcome to JA and thank you for your question. I will be the Attorney that will be assisting you. After 6 years the rescue organization physically took the dog away from your brother?

My cousin

My apologies, you stated cousin. The statutes of limitations for them to file an action in court for whatever it is they see as a breach of contract is 6 years Contracts Written: 6 yrs. §541.05(1); Oral: 6 yrs. §541.05(1)

Here is the issue in this case. If there was any issue with the contract the rescue agency needed to file the action in court. Your cousin did not need to turn the dog over to them.

Has your concern contacted the State Consumer Protection agency?

Where in MN did this occur?

Hennepin county, pretty sure I have the spelling wrong. Outside of Minneapolis. He has not contacted CP, but I will have him do so. It has not been 6 years yet, it will be in February 2019.

If they did not feel they had a valid contract that needed to be addressed at the time. I am suspect of what they are stating. Let me provide some links to assist him. One moment please.

THANK YOU!!!

MN Attorney General Consumer Protection Complaint https://www.ag.state.mn.us/office/complaint.asp

I have more for you.

Thank you!!

I am also providing this link for local Consumer Protection Attorneys that provide FREE consultations https://www.justia.com/lawyers/consumer-law/minnesota/hennepin-county

You are most welcome. It was my pleasure to assist you.

Please do not hesitate to ask me any additional questions that you may have with regard to this matter. It would be my pleasure to continue to assist you. If you would be kind enough to rate my service positively so I will receive credit for my work from the site I would appreciate it. A positive rating will not impact your ability to obtain a refund. Can you see the rating scale on your end at the top of the page, 5 stars? You may not be familiar with how the site works. The Attorneys to not receive credit from the site for their time or with customers unless the customer provides a positive rating. We answer your questions in good faith, hoping for a good faith response regardless of whether the law is in your favor or not. If you were unhappy with my service please let me know that you would prefer to work with another Attorney and I will opt out. Thank you for your consideration.
Attorney2
Attorney2, Attorney

Thank you.