My question is, if a stylist gave some services to another…

My question is, if...

My question is, if a stylist gave some services to another person and told the other person that they did not need to pay they just had to buy the supplies and a month or so later they state that they will be charging the person and they can charge whatever they want.

Lawyer's Assistant: What state are you in? It matters because laws vary by location.

Colorado

Lawyer's Assistant: What steps have you taken so far?

Nothing just wanted to ask a question

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

These people use to be friends any they had a failing out and this is a way to get out of a bill the stylist said she would pay.

5/26/2018
Olivia Kent
Olivia Kent, Attorney
Hello and welcome to Just Answer. My name is ***** ***** I’m an attorney. I’ll be happy to help you. Please note this site is for general educational information and does not constitute legal advice.
*
Please follow up if I am misunderstanding your question but essentially a stylist can tell Person A that they will not charge them for a service and if this person comes back and later gets the same service from the stylist the stylist can then charge them. In other words, the stylist is allowed to not charge for one visit and then charge for another visit. They cannot, however charge whatever they want because in order for there to be a contract the person has to agree to pay the stylist a specific price. Otherwise the stylist would need to sue the person to have them pay and then try to convince a judge that the stylist is entitled to a certain amount.
the stylist is trying to charge Person A for the previous service that the stylist said she did not have to pay for.

In that case, the odds of collecting ... well... not high...

Without an agreement to pay - the odds that the stylist will be able to convince a court that she is entitled to payment after she explicitly stated that she will not charge – are close to zero.

Is there anything else I can answer for you?

if I am understanding the only way the stylist would be able to collect the pay would be to first sue Person A for the funds, convince the judge that she is worth that amount of money, and then she would be able to get the money. Would there be any say from Person A about what was said about I will do this if you buy the products.

You would be correct. But frankly the odds that without a contract - and in fact an oral agreement to the contrary - the odds the the stylist will collect are close to zero. Especially because the stylist first said “you don’t have to pay me.”

Olivia Kent
Olivia Kent, Attorney
ok, thanks for the help, you're very helpful

The stylist can’t just arbitrarily decide to charge someone after the stylist and the person entered into a completely different agreement. In that case there’s nothing the stylist can do to convince a court in all likelihood.