I live with my significant other - we signed a 14 month

I live with my...

I live with my significant other - we signed a 14 month lease - he now wanted to end relationship - is he still responsible for half the rent? And we downsized a lot - chose a 2-bedroom 2 bath - needed second bedroom for all of my craft stuff - he now says I have to move all of the stuff out and go sleep in there

Lawyer's Assistant: Because laws vary from place to place, can you tell me what state the property is in?

Colorado

Lawyer's Assistant: What are the terms of the lease? Any issues related to maintenance or upkeep?

I’m pulling up the lease now - what should I be looking for?

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

We just moved in a month ago

5/26/2018
Loren, Attorney
Thank you for using JA. I am Loren, a licensed attorney for over 30 yrs., and I am here to help.
I am a certified expert on JustAnswer since 2009, with nearly 100% in satisfied customer ratings. So, we should be able to work through your problem.
I appreciate your patience as I review your question. I will post my response shortly.
This is general information and no attorney client relationship is established.
The site may ask you if you wish to speak by phone for an extra charge. Many find the phone call to be the easiest and fastest way to get the information they need without posting on a public forum. I am also happy to continue online.
There may be a slight delay in my replies as I am assisting other JA customers also. I will reply to your follow up questions.
WHILE WE ARE CHATTING DO NOT CLICK ON THE BUTTON TO REQUEST A SECOND OPINION. IT WILL LOCK ME OUT OF THE CHAT AND PREVENT ME FROM REPLYING TO YOU.
he remains liable for the continuing lease obligations until the end of the lease term, unless you and the landlord agree to release him from the lease agreement before it expires.
Likewise, as a tenant under the lease, you can not be forced to move out of or into any particular area of the apartment or house you are renting, unless you agree.
If he refuses to contribute his agreed share of household expenses, you can sue him for breach of contract. If the claim does not exceed $7500, you can sue in small claims court. Small claims court is designed to be a "user friendly", simplified process, so that you can present a claim without an attorney. Also, it moves much more quickly than regular court. You can get the necessary forms to start from the clerk of the court.If (and only if) you are completely satisfied that your question is answered professionally and accurately, even if not the answer you were hoping to get, please remember to leave a favorable rating (click 5 stars in the rating section on this page). It is the only way that I am credited by JustAnswer for answering your question.
There is no additional charge to you for rating me favorably.
Did you have further questions? Have I answered your question? Please let me know, since your satisfaction with my service is important to me.
Can he remove all of the items in the other room to make me live in that room? The items in the other room belong to me.
I do not want to pay more for this clarification.
No, as I said, as tenants together on the lease, neither of you has any superior right over the other to use any part of the leased premises.
He can NOT legslly force you to live in the other room.

If you have no further questions please remember to rate my service (5 Stars) so that I am credited by JA for answering your question and also so that I may close the question.

There is no additional charge to you for a 5 star rating of my service.

Thank you for using JA.

Loren, Attorney