What can I do to do a business dissolution. what forms do i…

Customer Question
What can I do...

What can I do to do a business dissolution. what forms do i need.

Lawyer's Assistant: What state are you in? It matters because laws vary by location.

Texas

Lawyer's Assistant: What steps have you taken so far?

None so far

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

I am in partnership with my son who plans to open his own company. I'm retiring in July and collecting social security . Being in business for 7 years with gross sales of $750,000/ year, 6 employees including my son and I

Submitted: 1 month ago.Category: Legal
5/25/2018
Lawyer: Attorney Wendy, Lawyer replied 1 month ago
Attorney Wendy

Hello. My name is ***** ***** I am an attorney. When you say you have a partnership, I am assuming that means the business with your son has been operating as a partnership and was not formed into a corporation or LLC. If it is a partnership, you will want to refer to your partnership agreement, if there is one, as to how to dissolve and follow those provisions. If there is no agreement, then you should be able to dissolve simply by documenting your and your son's votes/decision to dissolve and then you will need to take steps to notify and pay creditors and, if any assets remain, to distribute those assets as between you and your son. If, on the other hand, your son will be carrying on the same business/type of business on his own, you may want to consider transferring or selling your partnership interest to him and allowing him to continue with the same business name and goodwill. This is relatively simple though you will likely want an agreement that sets out the terms of the transfer and also relieves you of any future liability for any existing, ongoing or future liabilities of the partnership. In other words, simply transferring your interest in the partnership requires an agreement to do so and then if you personally guaranteed any debts of the partnership you would need any such creditors either to let you out of those guarantees or, more commonly, to allow your son to be substituted. They may or may not allow that, but that would be the goal.

If you, instead, as first discussed and as you mention, want simply to dissolve the partnership and you son would then start a completely separate business, this article does a pretty good job of simply describing the steps to take to dissolve that partnership: https://www.nolo.com/legal-encyclopedia/how-dissolve-partnership-texas.html

I hope this information helps. If you need additional assistance, feel free to reply to this email. If I answered your question and provided excellent service, I would greatly appreciate your 5 star rating at this time.

Please note: This information is for educational purposes only and is not legal advice. No course of action is being proposed and no attorney-client relationship or privilege has been formed as a result of this conversation.

Lawyer: Attorney Wendy, Lawyer replied 29 days ago

Just wanted to check in to see if you need any further assistance.