I have been paying court ordered restitution for 20 yrs and…

Customer Question
I have been paying...

I have been paying court ordered restitution for 20 yrs and still owe a lot, would like to negotiate balance, best method to do so?

Lawyer's Assistant: What state are you in? It matters because laws vary by location.

Colorado

Lawyer's Assistant: What steps have you taken so far?

None

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

Don't think so ,any suggestions

Submitted: 24 days ago.Category: Legal
Answered in 1 day by:
5/27/2018
Lawyer: Josie-Mod,
 replied 23 days ago
Josie-Mod
Hi, I'm Josie, a moderator for this topic.
I've noticed you have not yet received a response to this question.
I wonder whether you're ok with continuing to wait for an answer.
If you are, please let me know. If not, feel free to let me know and I will cancel this question for you.
Thank you!
Customer reply replied 23 days ago
I can wait,would you recommend me elaborate on the question?
Lawyer: Irwin Law, Attorney replied 21 days ago
Irwin Law
Irwin Law, Attorney

Hello. I might be able to assist you in forming a strategy to negotiate a settlement. I will need a great deal more information about the case. It is easier to do that by phone. if the website offers you a telephone conference call, and if I see it quickly enough, I will accept the offer and set up a call with you. if you do not wish to do it by phone, then please reply with as much information and detail as you can concerning the situation,and the person to whom the money is being paid.

Customer reply replied 21 days ago
Hello, I make payments to Fremont county probation dept, been off paper since2003, was a pot growing charge in1998, owe 85k of 100k, was not changed to a civil judgement after I was finished with probation, do you have experience with Fremont county judges?thanks.

I AM SORRY, but this is too much of a local specialized situation for an outsider attorney to deal with or advise on. You need a local attorney who can do detailed research on the question of 1) the validity of ordering that amount of restitution; and 2)the inability of the person charged to pay restitution. For what it's worth, I have to question the $100,000 figure. Who did you damage to the tune of $100,000? I also don't know what is meant by "off paper." How is the money being accounted for by the probation department? Do you receive regular statements of your account?

Customer reply replied 21 days ago
Thxs for the quick response, I will contact a local attorney, no one was injured for this crime but me and family.

I wish you the best of luck. Who knows with MJ laws changing, you might find yourself back in the business. :-)