Ms, Tina, I’m contacting You because I have a few questions…

Customer Question
Hello ms, Tina, I’m...

Hello ms, Tina, I’m contacting You because I have a few questions concerning the state of Georgia sex registry laws!

Lawyer's Assistant: What state are you in? It matters because laws vary by location.

Georgia

Lawyer's Assistant: What steps have you taken so far?

I’m attempting to get a few answers so I can move forward!

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

I was convicted in the state of Georgia for a sex offense in 1991 and was wondering about the legality of my having to register

Submitted: 1 month ago.Category: Legal
5/25/2018
Lawyer: Law Educator, Esq., Attorney replied 1 month ago

Thank you for your question. I look forward to working with you to provide you the information you are seeking for educational purposes only.

What is your question about this for us? What were you convicted for a misdemeanor or felony?

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Felony
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Not at this moment
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
I’m waiting for a response

Thank you for your reply.
Please ignore any reports from the site regarding your expert being offline or time the site says it takes to get an answer, they are incorrect as delays in replies are caused by many reasons including working with multiple customers on this site or clients in our office at the same time.

What is your specific question for us about your lifetime registration?

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
The legality of my having to register

Thank you for your reply.

That is what I do not understand and I am asking you to clarify, because the laws on the books passed by your legislature say you must register for life.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
I was convicted in 1991, before the state of Georgia had a registry

Thank you for your clarification.

The GA Code says "Persons convicted on or after July 1, 1996" have to register OR if you were released from prison or placed on parole, supervised release, or probation on or after July 1, 1996." See: O.C.G.A. § 42-1-12 (e). You can read this for yourself at https://gbi.georgia.gov/sex-offender-registry-frequently-asked-questions#three

So, it is not only your conviction date of 1991, but if your probation or parole ended after July 1, 1996, then the GA code says you have to register for life. If you do not meet either of those two guidelines, then you would not have to register.

The courts have held in GA and also federal courts, that sex offender registration is NOT punishment, but an administrative tool to track persons believed to be possibly dangerous to society, which is why the courts uphold the legality of even registration passed after the fact or imposed after the conviction dates.

Please do not forget to leave positive feedback by clicking on the 5 stars at the top of your page, as the experts are not employees of the site and get no credit for spending time with customers unless they leave positive feedback. Thank you.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Alright,however,I sent a response about time of conviction:1991and that there was no registry at the time and what legal standing to place me on said registry

Thank you for your reply.

You said the "time of conviction" and that is NOT what the law says only. If your probation or parole expired AFTER 1996, you can still legally be required to register and you are not telling me about that, which is what I informed you of above.

If your probation/parole did not end until July 1996 or after, you being forced to register is indeed legal.